How to Choose Between Windows or Linux Hosting?

purple

Its been a few years since I've played with Linux (minus designing for a Linspire wallpaper contest) and am not really sure of the difference between Windows or Linux hosting but know that most places seem to offer one or the other. What are the differences and how do you choose?

The vast majority of hosting is Linux based.
In general you will be able to get equivilent packages cheaper on Linux because it is a free operating system.

You will also have a far easier time finding scripts etc. for Linux.

The only use for Windows I would see is if you are set on programming in ASP or using Access database.

I'd recommend Windows if you are using ASP, .Net, MS SQL. I find Windows to be great and I am a lot more familiar with configuring the services and security etc...

But, I actually use Linux based hosting as it's less hassle setting up URL rewrites and a few other features that are a real pain in the butt to get going on Windows.

The vast majority of hosting is Linux based.
In general you will be able to get equivilent packages cheaper on Linux because it is a free operating system.

You will also have a far easier time finding scripts etc. for Linux.

The only use for Windows I would see is if you are set on programming in ASP or using Access database.

I'd recommend Windows if you are using ASP, .Net, MS SQL. I find Windows to be great and I am a lot more familiar with configuring the services and security etc...

But, I actually use Linux based hosting as it's less hassle setting up URL rewrites and a few other features that are a real pain in the butt to get going on Windows.

Yes it is true, if you compare, the same equivalent features in Linux will cost you less than in Windows since Linux is free. However, if you choose to use Linux, you won't be able to use MS-SQL, ASP, .NET and other features that are only supported in Windows hosting plans :)

It all depends on what back-end technologies you need to use.

If you've got a specific need to use ColdFusion, Access database, native ASP programming or the .Net framework, or MS-SQL (as opposed to MySQL, PostGRESQL, or the other flavors of SQL out there), then you'll want Windows. You'll likely end up paying a little bit more, and you'll have fewer choices in terms of providers; but you'll want to be hosted on Windows if you have to use any of those technologies.

If you need shell (command-line) functionality and access, you'll need to go with Linux-based hosting. I haven't seen any Windows hosting plans that offer command-line access.

If you don't care one way or the other, go with Linux. You'll have a wider choice of hosts, you'll more easily be able to switch providers if ever you need to, and you'll find better rates. You'll also have an easier time finding scripts that work well on a Linux platform (also sometimes referred to as the LAMP stack: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.) Most of your time will be spent using your host's control panel and / or your FTP program, so Windows vs. Linux won't make any difference there. Your own computer can be Windows, Linux, or Macintosh - it doesn't matter. You'll still be able to connect to and manage your web space, regardless of the platform.

Ok, so Windows=MySQL, Acess, ASP and Linux=not.

When they don't specifically state if it is Windows or Linux based can I determine it based on the offering of ASp, SQL, etc?

I don't think I particularly need Windows hosting, I need to lay out my plan a bit better and check what the blog, e-commerce and other stuf I want to use says it takes and figure out which would work best. Thanks for the help so far you guys.

Windows = mSQL (different from MySQL, though many Windows providers do also offer MySQL); ASP; .Net framework; Access databases

Linux = MySQL, PostGRE SQL, many other flavors of SQL

With some hosts, you can easily tell: if they state that their control panel is CPanel, they'll be a Linux host (as of August 2008, CPanel does not yet have a version available for Windows). If a host offers ColdFusion, they're a Windows host. However: some hosts offer something called Tomcat, which allows limited JSP functionality on Linux servers. Also, keep in mind: there are lots of different flavors of SQL. There's mSQL, also called MS-SQL, which is only available on Windows; MySQL, which is available for both platforms; and so on, so don't use that as your litmus test. PHP is also available on both platforms. So is CGI (occasionally on Windows hosts, they'll list something like ActiveState Perl, which is Perl/CGI ported over to Windows.)

Someone who's been doing this for a while (either shopping for web hosting, or offering web hosting) may be able to make a fairly educated guess that's a little bit better than the layperson's - however, if you're not sure of the operating system or platform, contact the host and ask.

Checking what environment your scripts need is a good idea. You may find a host you like, only to realize that they only offer Linux hosting and you require Windows (or vice versa)...and then you'd be back to square one.

Yes it is true, if you compare, the same equivalent features in Linux will cost you less than in Windows since Linux is free. However, if you choose to use Linux, you won't be able to use MS-SQL, ASP, .NET and other features that are only supported in Windows hosting plans :)

There are some really cheesy types ways to make those things above work, but I would not recommend it. Stick with what you know you need, if you need those things go the windows route but expect the prices for packages to change. If you don't need them, stick with a Linux server.

I'd like to take issue with this statement:

linux is more secure. simple and easy choice

While *nix can be more easily made secure by an admin who knows what they're doing, there are plenty of Linux servers that are not as secure as they could be - often because the admins don't do a proper job configuring the server, or applying the various software patches. It's also true that while Windows can be configured to be both flexible and secure, people who really know how to make Windows sing and dance have likely paid several thousand dollars to go through one of Microsoft's certification programs - and even then, they may or may not be up on the latest tips and tricks. (Heck, Microsoft's own SQL servers were hit by a major worm because the admins hadn't stayed up to date with all the patches...and you can bet those folks had access to the proper training.) It's easier for someone to learn how to properly update a Linux server without having to pay lots and lots and LOTS of money; and as Linux/Unix has been around longer, there's more information about it on the web. It's not as easy for someone to find similar information about configuring Windows servers - Windows hasn't been around as long, and even then, Windows hasn't been used as a web server OS as much, so there's less information available. (There's also less *dis*information...but I digress.)

And, of course, once a nonsecure application is installed on a server, a brand new security variable is introduced - phpBB is very prone to exploits, yet it's extremely popular and widely used. And not all users are as good about keeping their installations updated. (phpBB will often let a hacker gain access to a particular account, but not necessarily the server.)

It would be nice if it were possible to say, "X is more secure than Y." and have that be a truism. However, it isn't. And I'd really like to agree with anything slamming Microsoft, just on principle. I strongly disapprove of their business ethics. They're more fond of expediency than producing a secure, robust product. They seem to count on user ignorance to continue selling their products, and they often use scare tactics to get people to buy into their latest scheme. I really, really, REALLY dislike like them, even though they have made some undeniable contributions to the world of computing. However, in this case, I have to point out the flaw in the logic.

Your server is only as secure as your sysadmin makes/keeps it. So much depends on the experience and expertise of the person configuring the server. If the admin doesn't keep up to date with what's going on with security problems, and doesn't keep their servers adequately patched, the server will not be as secure as it could be - regardless of what OS it's running.

Last edited:
Windows it the most popular of the three operating systems. Estimates vary, but approximately 85% to 90% of personal computers use Windows. Because of its popularity, software and hardware add-ons for Windows computers are widely available.

In contrast to the large market share enjoyed by Windows, Macintosh is used by fewer people. Although the software and hardware add-ons for Macintosh computers are limited in comparison to Windows add-ons, popular Windows applications like Microsoft Office have Macintosh equivalents. Macintosh also regulates the design of software and hardware add-ons more rigidly than Microsoft, so the software and hardware added to a Mac is less likely to fail. For more on Windows v. Macs, see this collection of resources from the About Guide to Macs.

Linux is the third of the popular operating systems available. Linux is based on Unix, an operating system used for more than three decades that now powers about 90% of Web sites. In sharp contrast to both Windows and Macintosh, Linux is an open source project. As such, anyone can modify the Linux code, and Linux is free to use and distribute. Although Linux offers greater security and flexibility than other operating systems, it requires some technical knowledge to install and use. In his Linux Newcomers Guide, the About Guide to Linux walks you through deciding if Linux is for you, choosing a distribution of Linux, installing Linux, configuring it, and getting additional software.

well chosing linux or windows hosting depends on your requiremnts. I prefer presoanlly linux as it has the best and high security when compared to that of windows.

Linux provides Cpanel as a Control panel, Windows provides Helm :)

Having Linux you won't be able to use Helm and vice versa.

Linux provides Cpanel as a Control panel, Windows provides Helm

Having Linux you won't be able to use Helm and vice versa.
Nice copmparision. But I believe that is not main issue for that. Really. Linux just can 95% that windows can do. And the main difference is price.