How to choose web host

To me, a great host should utilize a state-of-the-art datacenter with very little downtime, offer quality support with quick turnaround, superior customer service, friendly and open communication with its customers, and keep its promises. That's realistic, right?

The average end user will need the system to just work. If things work, there's little to complain about. In the early days, customer support will probably also be required, so fast and friend support is needed.

When big companies can't or won't have simple, common applications like Wordpress run in a fraction of a second (which is entirely withing the realm of possibility), I contend that the industry still has some way to mature, and that great hosting is still not too easy to come by.

Never go with hosts who offer unlimited disk space or bandwidth for stupid monies.

Generally speaking, that is a safe assessment. However, most hosts that have a decent share of the market, offer unlimited. What's left are smaller hosts, and the smaller the host, the harder it is to find true, honest reviews. Almost a catch 22 situation.

I think first of all pay attention, is it easy to navigate through the website, then look for some reviews. Pay attention also if cPanel, ispCP or ISPConfig are with a system that will let you set up your own blog or forum with a few clicks

I think first of all pay attention, is it easy to navigate through the website, then look for some reviews. Pay attention also if cPanel, ispCP or ISPConfig are with a system that will let you set up your own blog or forum with a few clicks

Just CPanel wouldnt be enough. It would need some third party addons like Installatron or Fantastico to install a script like wordpress or phpBB with a few clicks.
We use Fantastico and its an awesome feature to have.

On Topic:
On forums like these you will find loads of good solid webhosts. Just have a look at a few and see if there are any reviews. Contact a few hosts and see how (fast) they respond. :twocents:

Softaculous is far better than Installatron or Fantastico as it offers far more scripts to install

Completely agree with this - they are also on the ball with script updates and on the odd occasion we've had to contact support, they have been prompt and concise.

Whilst at the moment we offer both Softaculous and Fantastico on our cPanel platform, we will almost certainly not be installing Fantastico on future web server roll outs.

Steve

When dealing with Softaculous, you know you are dealing with software that has life behind it. I believe Fantastico will fade away like the rest of them.

Fantastico 50 scripts 3 step install $90 a year (VPS $24 a year)
Installatron 67 scripts 12+ step install $50 a year (VPS $25 a year)
Softaculous Free 59 scripts 1 step installs FREE
Softaculous 259 scripts 1 step install $24 a year (VPS $12 a year).

i also find that if you request support from Fantastico or Installatron their support staff always seem to mislay their computers as it takes days if ever for them to find where they left their computers so they can reply to support