How to Transfer a Website?

LT Smash

I am also looking into buying and selling or making and selling websites. I was wanting to know how does one transfer the website from one host to another? It is something I have been interested in for awhile.

It's depend on what CP do you use, for example Cpanel has built in transfer system that's work easy. or you can just get a backup from the files and tranfer them to the new host!

I am also looking into buying and selling or making and selling websites. I was wanting to know how does one transfer the website from one host to another? It is something I have been interested in for awhile.

If you are using cpanel then it is very simple. Click on the back up icon and then select the option of generating full back up. Select ftp passive mode transfer and input the ftp details of where you are transferring that site to. Then just restore the back up on the new server.

Well, it depends on the control panel and good control panels like cPanel/Plesk provide automated transfer facilities. However, if you are hosting without a panel, the most important thing to transfer is the script files and the databases which are most important. You can compress/ backup databases and files and FTP them across to the new host.

You need to setup your name servers to your new hosting company from your current one.
The name server's are changed from the domain name control panel.
The information will be available from your Hosting company.

Please proceed with the following steps :

1. Login to your Cpanel
2. Create a full Backup of the domain via the cpanel.
3. Upload this backup, which will be in the .tar.gz format to the new hosting server you have purchased.

If you have the root password to the new server ( if VPS) you can restore the full backup using your WHM, there would be the restore full backup feature provided.

If you do not have the root password, and you are just a reseller, you can let your support know to ask them to restore it for you.

Or follow the simplest method : Let your new remote support know the cpanel username , password and domainname on your old host, they will create the backup, copy to new server and restore it for you.

Thanks a lot for the information. I actually just bought my first site and the previous owner gave me CPanel info and everything ran smoothly. Thanks a lot for the help.