How Would You Know If a Domain is a "Good" Domain?

First Timer

What I mean by this is if you were a newer web designer, or whichever site was your first or one of your first websites, how would you know that the website that you chose would be a good site?

Of course you're going to try and have something that is explanitory on it's own without having to explain or show anything - but if you're unsure, what would you do - and how would you do it?

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. I think that part of the problem lies in how you define a good domain. Good as in "easy for users to remember"? "Good for SEO purposes"? "Inexpensive"? A combination thereof? Or something completely different?

For me I judge if a domain name is good or not base on lots of stuff.
1. If the name is catchy/cool
2.How related is the domain name to there business of choice
3.How much traffic has the domain had in the past/present

Hope that helps some.

I just mean in an overall prospective. Like, professionally, short, and down to the point meaning, "will the person know what the site is about when the visit it".

Like in that perspective, Google isn't other than the fact that it's short. If you're completely new to the internet, Google sounds like some kid's website with fun and games.

It's all about marketing! It's no different than McDonnalds, or Carrows or other establishments for food. Yahoo is another, as is GoDaddy. They don't specifically speak of what they do, but with the right marketing you can make anyone remember anything.

I really don't think the domain name has much to do with things. It can be helpful, but it's what you put into it and what your clients remember out of it that will matter at the end of the day.

The following is what I would personally look for in domain names:

1. something memorable

2. something that goes well with what your site is about

3. short is usually a good thing, but memorability is more-so

4. A name that you think could be resold without too much hassle, should your site not work out

there's more to it than that, but this is what comes to mind right now.

There are lots of factors to take into consideration, but I usually look at:
1. How short/memorable the domain is
2. How relevant it is to the site you plan to build on it.
3. Whether or not it has keywords you will want to rank high for with the site

The shortness and catchyness of a Domain name is Important,however It might or might not count for Traffic to that site.
ex:publictransportsystems(dot)com might have more traffic than
jix(dot)com,Its all about the raw traffic that the domain name can pull towards Itself.

Well I checked out that godaddy.com and that domainboy or whatever it's called that generates names when you punch in a primary word and then an optional second one. I was also beating the living daylights out of thesaurus.com and I managed to combine two words into one like I remember seeing another site mention that, and it actually looks BETTER than it did before. :)