I don't believe this.....

BlackStorm

Well after doing a little updating on my site myself...
I noticed there was an index.html in my root directory for the site for my hosting company.
Since all pages are .php, I took a look.

I'm really not happy about what I saw...the designer left in an index.html page from when he was working on my site, over a month ago.

Obviously..this means anyone going to www.address.com would have seen this index page, saying we are currently updating the site.
We will be available on 20th July blah blah blah..

I am positive this has at least lost potential customers..
The only way people would have been able to get to the site is if they went directly to www.site.com/page.php :eek:

Just had to get this off my chest...

Wowza. That isn't good at all. Sorry to hear it John.

But, didn't you personally go through your site to make sure it works perfectly?
Since I designed my company web site myself, I didn't have this problem (Would have got someone else to do it, however everyone I contacted couldn't imagine a web site without flash, javascript or something in your face; what ever happened to the content being the most important thing to a site, or a website which is easy to navigate, looks good but isn't in your face?).

I was very busy when the site was being done, so I had two people working on it so I could leave it totally to them while I worked on a few other things, still to do with the hosting company and it was just as important as the site, but I was the only one able to do it.

I know I should have checked but I didn't expect something like the temp index page to be left on the site and I only check the support section on the website, don't look around it anytime myself.

I was just really surprised that it was left there after the site was complete. It was only meant to be up for a few minutes while the old site was being replaced with the new one going live.

Just glad I did this myself today when I was updating a few things. Lucky I saw it in the FTP ;)

Ouch that would have been sure to hurt the number of signups anyway...
That must have counted for a lot of people leaving the site...it is like going to a store and seeing a closed for renovation sign when it was actually open.

Glad you found it though, maybe you will see signups go up now ;)