Is advertising at WebHostingTalk worth it?

CanSpace

This is how much the other known web hosting forum is charging for a variety of add-ons within its Dedicated Hosting Offers marketplace forum.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.43.24 AM.png

That's $1,000 a week for a sticky. If you keep it highlighted in yellow and in with bold title, that's $1,200/week. You keep it running for 2 months, you are out of almost $10,000 USD (that's $13,500 in Canadian currency). A year's worth of "stickiness" will run around $60,000 USD (just over 80k in Canadian money with today's rate). Premium members may be getting a discount (last I heard it was around 25%, but even with 50% off, that's still serious budget).

You look at who is advertising, it's globally recognized companies like OVH, Hivelocity, LiquidWeb. They've certainly got the cash. You see smaller firms experimenting with cheaper priced add-ons (like highlight or big&bold), but looking at one such example, the number of views your ad receives isn't significantly higher than of those that post ads free of charge. In some instances it's lower.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.52.09 AM.png

My question is: have you ever advertised via WHT stickies? Did you find it was worthwhile for your company?

Personally, I've never advertised stickies on WHT, but have on other forums and that did help with sales. The average cost I've seen elsewhere is $25. There really aren't that many web hosting forums worth advertising on.

Personally, I've never advertised stickies on WHT, but have on other forums and that did help with sales. The average cost I've seen elsewhere is $25. There really aren't that many web hosting forums worth advertising on.
Steve, can you give me a list (via PM if necessary) of those that you would consider worth advertising on? If not allowed, that's fine. Just kind of need to get back up on my feet after this last issue

Just had a major client shut down after 6 years of doing business with them primarily. Need to do something desperate if necessary to get back up ...

Just had a major client shut down after 6 years of doing business with them primarily. Need to do something desperate if necessary to get back up ...
Terrible, sorry to hear that. Was your client a web hosting company or a software company? I am asking because a hosting forum may not even be the right audience.

The list is relatively short for web hosting forums:

webhostingtalk.com
hostingdiscussion.com
lowendtalk.com
lowendspirit.com

Last edited: