Is it becoming that much easier to be a host?

Haha. When I saw the subject I started thinking of answers to what I thought the question would be and then I saw this :D Well spotted. I am sure he will be here after school later on today ;)

Will said:
7 Year olds running hosting businesses? Whatever next?

I take it you are having a joke? Not everyone will post their true age on here, for fear of being ridiculed and being called an "old fossil" :D

rwaforums said:
I take it you are having a joke? Not everyone will post their true age on here, for fear of being ridiculed and being called an "old fossil" :D

Ah, but some of us "old fossil's" can bring a lot of experience to the hosting business :)

Oil? Coal?

I think I'm still a fish. :D

Oh - and feel free to post what you were thinking before opening the thread, Matthew! Do you think it's becoming child's play to run a hosting business?

Well, it's definately MUCH easier to host. Reseller accounts are sooooo easy to use. There is very little responsibility for the reseller if they have a great host hosting their reseller account. The thing that's not getting easier is getting customers - and keeping them when they find out that you're 7.

The thing that's not getting easier is getting customers - and keeping them when they find out that you're 7.

Do you think that, in a way, it is caused by the fact hosting is considered to be so easy? I have about 5 friends who have a hosting business / reseller account of some form so if I need hosting I have no end of places to go. Do you think more and more people host through their friends or even their own computers?

Do you think that, in a way, it is caused by the fact hosting is considered to be so easy? I have about 5 friends who have a hosting business / reseller account of some form so if I need hosting I have no end of places to go. Do you think more and more people host through their friends or even their own computers?

Yes, I think it's a very big and important factor. I think a lot of people may use friends/their own computers for a few reasons - one being that home connections are becoming faster and faster. Another reason is that there is a lot more flexibility with HDD space and accessibility. If I wanted to put my photo collection online (approx 10GB) it'd be easier to put them on my frinends PC using an external HDD than spending 4 days uploading them. I say accessibility because I don't know how many/if any hosts would let you send them data on a CD/DVD.

I host my sites with a proper host at the moment because I can't be bothered to maintain my own server at home. Then theres the problem of non-static IP's etc. It's easy to put them with another host!

I have a lot of thoughts on the subject but I can't organise them so I'll be quiet now! Like Matthew says, there are a lot of responses to this.

Regards,
Matt M