Is it just me?

thenynoc

Is it just me or do more and more people everyday think they can get whatever they want for close to or nothing or even free.

Do they not realize that companies do have expenses and requesting hosting for as little as $1-5/month is a bit ridiculous?

I am frankly getting sick of seeing requests like that on various forums. I think the only way to combat this, is for more hosts to raise their pricing but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Is it just me?

No, it is not just you. The reason people do this is because there are a lot of little and/or new hosting companies out there that will basically give any amount of space for any amount of money. Knowing this, people ask people like you and me for ridiciulous specs, not knowing that we have steady companies that don't do things like that. You and I turn it down because we don't run cheesy companies like that.

in this industry you need to be competitive, prices are one of the most attracting things to potential clients so in reality other competitors are just trying to target volume, rather then money which is not a bad thing. without other competitors being in the industry the webhosting business would not be as fun.

What you say is right but I really don't see hosts raising prices all of a sudden. In fact, they don't even have to raise them as long as the customers are happy with the service they get.

True ldcdc, but these hosts can't really expect a significant ROI if they keep charging prices as low as $1/month. If they keep getting clients lets say, and their disk space/bandwidth requirements keep increasing while charging these low fees per month how will they be able to support the increasing demands? I think they would be in some sort of trouble unless they have some backup funding source...or maybe they will just overload the servers terribly to compensate.

Competition is good however this just seems ridiculous in my opinion. I know hosts won't raise pricing all of a sudden. No way that would happen any time soon.

Anyways, we'll see what happens in the future.

Last edited:
I think that people do get the impression that they can get so much for so little but then they slowly realize that they are really just getting what they are paying for - nothing more and nothing less. The evolution of buyer psychology in the hosting industry works like that. Eventually, it evens out and they are paying the right price for the performance they expect.

Roj

The evolution of buyer psychology in the hosting industry works like that.
Still, the learning process in the world of hosting is sometimes costly. Too costly. The fact that experienced hosts sometimes fuel this price fight ultimately helps to confuse the end users.

WireNine said:
We've been getting a lot of free web hosting requests generating from HostingDiscussion itself :eek:
When you get those, please report them to moderators.