Is it Possible ti sell 100 GB BW for 1.99$...

That just does not add up. In my opinion it is not possible to sell 100 GB BW for $1.99. It does not even make one bit of sense why a company would even try to offer this amount of service at this price.

TheReason said:
That just does not add up. In my opinion it is not possible to sell 100 GB BW for $1.99. It does not even make one bit of sense why a company would even try to offer this amount of service at this price.
But still there are enough companies which advertise their services in that way!!!

Kiddie host fly by night, but that next morning reality htis for those businesses. Let them advertise that 100GB BW for $1.99 and never live up to it.

I have seen it before. This company is overselling. The question is can they live up to it. I would like to see a host who can offer that much BW and not get upset when in is all used.

Best Regards,

Ryan

TheReason said:
Scott what do you mean by that?
Just that may of the folks we have had signup coming from other hosts that offer an extreme amount of resources but when they actually start to use even close to it they are told either to upgrade or move on.

I guess I could have been a little clearer with that statement.

ontime said:
Just that may of the folks we have had signup coming from other hosts that offer an extreme amount of resources but when they actually start to use even close to it they are told either to upgrade or move on.

I guess I could have been a little clearer with that statement.

That makes sense. Keeping hosts like that around provides the better hosting providers out there with more business in the long run. I guess you do need those companies to stay around! :)

Well, I find that those clients have a better respect for our support and customer service.

This not to say that all hosts that oversell at that extreme are poor or do not have quality support or customer service I am sure a few are around and doing well.

I'll be glad to explain,

Lets say you have 500 GB bandwidth and 80 gb space and sell 10 gigs of space with 60 gigs of bandwidh that way you have 8 customers and you supposedly filled up all your space. but you notice that you only used 100 gigs of bandwidth and 20 gigs of space, you have all that space left thats no being used, so what you do is keep selling.

The host is crossing its fingers and praying that no one uses the full potential of their package i.e. 50 gigs space 500 gigs transfer.

TheReason said:
Almost every hosting company oversells services. Why is this?

In my experience in hosting, no one ever uses what they pay for. Just for some reason, everyone buys a huge plan (like a gig space) and uses 2 or 3 megs of it. I guess it's a security thing--they know they have it. But, hosts know that the actual usage is MUCH less than the allocation, so they oversell.

1.99 legally its possible.
Although you're going to have financial problems if you do. Think about it PayPal takes away $.30 + 2.9% per transaction. If you doing monthly billing then you are loosing a tons of revenue already.

As I said elsewhere on this forum, overselling is an integral part of every hosting company's business. Anybody who claims otherwise is being duped, or is simply a reseller of another provider who is overselling to them.

A typical example of this was a hosting company we did *some* work for a couple of months ago. They had 3 or 4 servers in ThePlanet. Their hosting plans were simply silly. For $2/ month you got 1 Gb space and 20Gb bandwidth (or something nuts). They had no AUP. No concept of security and all their servers were bursting at the seams. Due to the lack of an AUP the servers had become a haven for spammers, warez traders, phishing fraudsters etc. One of the servers had approx 50k mails in the outgoing Q!!
What happened? They had to shut down.

So you are saying that I am a reseller since I do not over sale? I guess I will call my hosting provider to see what they say.

me. "Hello, how are you doing today"
me. "Great, thanks for asking"
me. "Do you oversell your Space and Bandwidth"
me. "No we do not"
me. "Well people say if we don't oversell we must be resellers"
me. "Hmmm that is werid"
me. "Thats what I thought as well"
me. "Thanks for your time"
me. "Yours as well, if you need anything else please let us know"
me. "Great and Thank you, are you sure you don't oversell"

hahahah

Frank