Is there a way to tell the cloud?

KurotaTakumi

Hi!

I found some hosting provide a vps. And said it is a cloud server. Is there a way to tell the cloud which is true or not?
I know a cloud infrastructure that includes multiple hypervisors (servers) with failover, redundant SAN storage. Is there a simple way? :confused:

from what i know there isn't really but i might be wrong. think you must take there word which obv could be false. I'm not sure sorry, but its a really interesting topic you have started

Mainly you can judge by the price. Cloud Service offers much better redundancy, flexibility and on-the fly updates. That generally costs more than a simple VPS. So if they offer it at a ridiculously low price they will be working at a loss and chances are its not really a full-on Cloud :rolleyes2

Unfortunately there isn't really a good way to tell if a service is actually being run in the cloud. You'll just have to make sure you research the company and see how reputable they are

Cloud is basically a big cluster of scalable vpses spread over multiple servers. Some low end providers may not have as much resources as big providers to have a good cloud setup. Like everyone else said, do some research and look for reviews.

To be honest, it really depends on what the provider means by "cloud". Some companies refer to "cloud" as just being able to scale resources, nothing to do with high availability, redundancy or failover..

Probably better ask them, real cloud imo is a system designed with HA/Failover. Else it's just a standard VM with scalability. But nowdays everything is cloud.. it's an overused marketing scheme.

Probably better ask them, real cloud imo is a system designed with HA/Failover. Else it's just a standard VM with scalability. But nowdays everything is cloud.. it's an overused marketing scheme.

:thumbup: Most people look at AWS as "cloud". With a basic instance, it's nothing more than a regular ol' VPS.