Is there still profit in re-selling?

redrunner

I've seen some people on here advise that there is no longer money to be made in buying/re-selling .com's. Is anyone still making much of a profit doing this?

Yahoo! recently purchased OMG.com for $80,000, so I assume someone is still making money.

The industry of selling/buying domains is still very much active, especially in the .COM

For some very rare cases there is some money to catch. However there are so many losers with dreams to get some money keep .com domains on some domain selling websites.

I think this market has shifted to the registars - reselling expired domains. There will always be a niche market for buying and selling domain names, but it'll probably never re-approach it's earlier hayday.

I think this market has shifted to the registars - reselling expired domains. There will always be a niche market for buying and selling domain names, but it'll probably never re-approach it's earlier hayday.

Yes exactly, everyone who has got a good domain these days never lets it go. I guess this is the Google/SEO effect...

I've rarely seen the other TLDs sell for large sums but if you manage to create a popular non-.com TLD you might be able to sell it for a good price provided that it has traffic and revenue (or at least the potential to make good money). However, that would be more of a website sale rather than just the domain.

I never got into it before and I actually don't see what the point is to it all. I guess .com's and that stuff never really caught my eye.

If you don't know what you're doing, it's possible to take a loss when it turns out your domain name picks aren't so hot. Reselling might still be slightly profitable, but it's not going to make you a millionaire overnight.

IMO, Domain re-selling is still a profitable business especially if you own couple of good domain named and you know where is the market.

I dont think theres much profits unless you develope the domain name. Other than that its going to be hard since most of the "good" names are taken.

Yes theres profit in it are you kidding me is this guy like on crack? You build the domain up like yahoo.com Microsoft offered like some odd 30 billion for it (didnt happen) but .coms and sold everyday for profits.

Beside .com TLD I think that .net TLD is still worth mentioning. But beside those two TLDs I don't think there is anything valuable worth mentioning.

The .com TLD is definitely the most popular and if you can come up with a very well sought after prefix you can sell it for a lot of money to the highest bidder...EBAY CALLING! You could end up with a very big company knocking on your door wanting to buy it...you never know. ;)

I knew of someone once who had registered 50,000 domains. Allegedly he made over $1,000,000 per year on parking fees.

Not sure of how accurate that was though, it was a colleague's friend.

Hi !
I really liked this question.
I would say there are two types of domains, ones you want to sell on a high price and ones you want to sell on very high price.
Google/SEO has just reformed it all and now nobody wants to resell a good domain, which in-turn makes good domains to sell on even higher price.

Regards
Walter Burke

Generally speaking, it's becoming harder and harder and the industry is shrinking to only quality names. But there are always people who want some names badly. You can always expect big profit margin from these people. ;)

I think a site needs to have a future and content. And it's just not solely the domain name but the sites vision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting