Is this possible? (automated browser title)

Mosqwik

Hi,
Something that would be really useful for a new project im working on would be to have automated browser titles using some php code in the <title> tags.
The only way I can think of doing this is by having the php code read the url im using for navigation, e.g. /windows/atari2600/ and use that data, edit it and have it display as 'Windows > Atari 2600'
Has this kind of thing been done before? are there any other common ways of doing this? Also are there any tutorials around?
Thanks!

I'm not sure what your getting at, can you provide an example?

If your using any script, eg. forums,cms's etc.. they all provide the title for THAT certain page. So I'm not sure what you "exactly" want to show, since most pages will have a title assigned to them already.

From an SEO standpoint you probably do not want to use any kind of script with the <title> tag. I would think that the search engines would frown on that. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

OK, I think I understand.

So, at the top of my browser right now, instead of it saying "Hosting Discussion - Website Development & Design - Mozilla Firefox", it might say something like "Hosting Discussion - Website Development & Design - Is this possible? (automated browser title) - Mozilla Firefox".

I can see decent usage for something like this that would be based on random or user variables.

And don't worry so much about getting flagged by Google. If anything like that would throw a flag up, they manually check it first without penalty. If it is a legitimate reason and not an obvious method to manipulate SEO, then you'll be fine.

If anything like that would throw a flag up, they manually check it first without penalty.
I really doubt that they manually check the millions of flags raised by the billions of pages they have in their index.