.it domains

PhoenixnetHost

Hi Guys

Not a big factor for most of the members of the forum, but I would recommand you to stay away from the italian domain, we purchased a .it domain and the setup was 4 weeks, reason for this is they needed me to sign a form written in Italian, and provide documents of passport, VAT number, company letter head, a few other things,

So unless you really need it, I would recommand another domain.

Thanks
John

Hi John,

I do believe most country specific domains require some kind of verification that you indeed reside in that country. I've registered a number of .ca domains (yes I'm in Canada :)) and you always had to sign up through CIRA. Now there was really not further verification required as you described, but I'm sure if my IP Addy didn't jive as a Canadian one, I may have been declined registration.

There may be other members that have more knowledge on this matter.

For common TLD's no such procedure is required. Its very simple just pay off and get it done by providing the registrant details. :) :)

Wow... Just for a Domain??? This is really wierd. But thank god that but thanks for the heads up. I will keep this in mind if I ever needed...

WorldCom said:
Hi John,

I do believe most country specific domains require some kind of verification that you indeed reside in that country. I've registered a number of .ca domains (yes I'm in Canada :)) and you always had to sign up through CIRA. Now there was really not further verification required as you described, but I'm sure if my IP Addy didn't jive as a Canadian one, I may have been declined registration.

There may be other members that have more knowledge on this matter.
Very true. Signing ANY or usually MOST country type of domains = problems, if your not a citizen there. Basically that rule is there to keep non-citizens away from aquiring the domains. I remember I wanted to get a .ca and I had to show proof that I was a canadian citizen. Basically they checked my address, made sure it was actually a "real" address. They do some minor checks to have a positive ID, that you are infact a citizen of that country. So it's best to stay away from those types of domains if possible.

Who knows, mabye UK will soon adapt to it. :p As far as I know, "most" country type TLD's have restrictions on them now. Though I don't know why people would want .it .in etc.. There not in demand as of yet, unless your trying to buyout top names for the extentions. .com still dominates :p

Names ending in .IT can be useful if it creates a statement with the name like want.it, need.it, gottohave.it, etc.

Harry said:
Who knows, mabye UK will soon adapt to it. :p As far as I know, "most" country type TLD's have restrictions on them now. Though I don't know why people would want .it .in etc.. There not in demand as of yet, unless your trying to buyout top names for the extentions. .com still dominates :p

Common TLD's are anytime my favorite, as they are easy to get and easy and widely known.
Even sometimes back getting .in was also hectic process but now it is available easily without asking any question.

I think the whole deal with .it names was to prevent abuse. You can imagine all the "vanity" registrations but if there's a lot of hassle people I would think would be more reluctant to buy one