Just curious if anyone would actually need this...

nocturnalhostin

A while ago I decided to make a video of the process of setting up a cPanel server (assuming that one orders a dedicated linux box with cPanel installed) - just recording the screen images in real time as I configured it, ran scripts like easyapache....

To be honest I think that most people visiting here would already know how to do this - but I'm just wondering if there would be any use to me actually breaking it appart into flash tutorials and positing it on a website somewhere...

Or, perhaps a better question, is there anything in regards to linux servers that most hosts find difficult and might benifit from having tutorial videos on? I sometimes make the mistake of assuming that such things are common knowledge and if I have it lying around I'd be happy to share with the commnity...just looking for ideas...

Steph, looking at how people sometimes ask for help when setting up a cpanel server, it could be a good idea to have a flash guide about it. Its actually a very good idea.

Well, I never considered the possibility of selling it, I was just going to post it.

* makes a mental note to figure out a nice way to accept donations *

Of course, I'm still working on getting the file size down to something reasonable...and its a side project...I'd say an ETA of 1-2 weeks?

As another quick question for everyone....should this be the default screens that come up when one first goes into cpanel, or how to configure it properly if you don't do so the first time around (or both?).

nocturnalhostin said:
* makes a mental note to figure out a nice way to accept donations *
OR, HostingDiscussion can somehow accept donations on your behalf (transfer it to you thereafter) and offer it for free to everyone here? :shh:

Its a great idea. Its the first time I've seen anything of this nature offered for free. I'm sure that you will have tons of interested people. I know I am.

I think it'd definitely be interesting to see. While I already know how to configure all that options, I'd like to compare how you setup your servers to how I setup mine.

its worthfull..

its very worthfull to make such a good thing like this..and that too free....
best of luck and regards

Yes, I could have used one of these myself when I got my first server. I had no clue what I was doing.... something like this would have been a huge deal of help.

I offer my support in your efforts, good luck.

Sounds like a good idea, I have actually never seen that before and if you make it, please make sure you keep us updated =)

I actually think the less complicated the item to be explained (in this case using cpanel versus command line configuration) the more you need something like this. Not that command line users can't use "howtos" I use them all the time, but more advanced users have frequently overcome the fear of not being able to figure something out and will research it and play with it until they do. I am guessing cpanel users would really appreciate this visual approach...you are talking about once the box is released to them right?

I'm interested in this.. if nothing else it'd be a great thing for me to keep handy to reference for those interested in setting up their own servers :)

Yes, I could have used one of these myself when I got my first server. I had no clue what I was doing....

Am I the only one who things making it *easier* for the clueless to be running a hosting business is only going to lead to more troubles ?

If you are going to do the "tutorial" for public viewing rather than for your own business internal training, remember there are as many different ways of setting it up as there are options to set ;) And that security flaw you left in the video, being replicated thousands of times over and over by people who have no idea ...