Just Starting Out Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson_flagg

Hey guys how’s it going.?

Well I decided I am gonna try to setup just a very small hosting business.

But I don't know where to start with some kind of cpanel for my cx's I am just looking for something that I can use for a while just until I can get used to everything before I decide to purchase something like cpanel or something like that.

So I am just asking for some suggestions on what cpanel type programs there are out there that I can use for the time being any help will be much appreciated.

Anything free would be even better.

wilson_flagg said:
Hey guys how’s it going.?

Well I decided I am gonna try to setup just a very small hosting business.

But I don't know where to start with some kind of cpanel for my cx's I am just looking for something that I can use for a while just until I can get used to everything before I decide to purchase something like cpanel or something like that.

So I am just asking for some suggestions on what cpanel type programs there are out there that I can use for the time being any help will be much appreciated.

Anything free would be even better.

We started life using a free open source control panel named ISPConfig. It's pretty good, but we very quickly found that nobody wanted anything but cPanel, DirectAdmin or Plesk.

We had to drop ISPConfig and go with one of the more mainstream control panels in order to get any customers.

So, a cPanel or DA reseller account might work well for you.

Arguably, the most popular panel out there is cPanel. Most users tend to stay with the panel they know, and the online market is currently dominated by cPanel.

You will need a reseller account to provide hosting to your clients (so they have their own control panel and account). As well, if you're new, you might want to look at a host that provides end-user support (provided via your own brand or anonymously). This will allow your customers to get quick support, while allowing you to learn about support, by reading over the tickets.

Rather than starting with a control panel and switching to another one later on, you should make a list of control panels, choose the one that suits you best (either going by their description/features or by testing them out - moneyback guarantees of hosting companies could help), and stick to the one that suits you best.

Migrating between control panels is not exactly fun, and your customers certainly won't appreciate such a profound modification of package specifications as the change of the control panel.

ldcdc said:
Migrating between control panels is not exactly fun, and your customers certainly won't appreciate such a profound modification of package specifications as the change of the control panel.

Totally agree. Mortal users don't understand that a control panel is just a face to the server. Many of them think that the control panel IS the server and if you swap that out from under them, they'll revolt.

Changing control panels is the single most visible churn you could possible provide to a customer. I highly recommend against it unless you want to start all over again when you swap out. I can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority of your customers will leave you.

Agreed! :thumbsup:
Although it does seem like you can utilize the term "if the shoe fits, wear it" here, you really can't. If you walk into your neighborhood Footlocker with stinky stinky socks, they won't appreciate you trying on every single shoe in the store. Especially, the second you leave - the whole place is smelling like Uncle Tom's Meatloaf. Customers like to feel at home, and like to know their environment. Changing it every few days/weeks isn't good for them, and it's not good for you. If you want to experiment with control panels, do it before you start selling!
I personally recommend cPanel or DirectAdmin. - Have fun!

hostingpuppy said:
Totally agree. Mortal users don't understand that a control panel is just a face to the server. Many of them think that the control panel IS the server and if you swap that out from under them, they'll revolt.

Changing control panels is the single most visible churn you could possible provide to a customer. I highly recommend against it unless you want to start all over again when you swap out. I can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority of your customers will leave you.
I think it depends. Some members might like the new panel you have. It all depends ON THE PANEL you get, and also the SKIN of the panel. If it's more user friendly, your customers will love it. I'd suggest a CPANEL panel and there are TONS of skins for it. I believe the one I liked was called XP or Aqua.. It should be in the WHM/Cpanel packed, if you have a reseller account.

First step is to find a hosting company which will get you the best reseller deal. Its always better to start as a reseller and once you get enough client go for a dedicated server.

Build the site by your own and during the initial stage try to do the support by yourself after learning linux . An add in a good forums will also help to increase the trafic

On a server once, I had a reseller who had more shared accounts than I did. Some people say to look out to make sure the hosts aren't resellers, but I don't see it as a problem. They are re-selling the same service, but at a lower cost.

There are tons of cPanel hosts out there already. Be unique and go with another CP, it will help you find your niche in the market, and thus be more successful. Personally, I prefer directadmin. It's a speed demon, and I think the look is a bit more modern than cPanel.

Plus, if you want a good way to keep your costs down (200/year, 300/life).

I would respectfully disagree with ZenOswyn. I think what seperates yourself from others is the way you identify yourself with a niche market rather than the software itself. Afterall, cPanel is arguably the most popular and that is not just by coincidence. It is a great panel that many are familiar with. You want to appeal to the most people possible, and by getting software that no one likes or is familiar with can potentially drive customers away rather than to your company.

TravisT said:
I would respectfully disagree with ZenOswyn. I think what seperates yourself from others is the way you identify yourself with a niche market rather than the software itself. Afterall, cPanel is arguably the most popular and that is not just by coincidence. It is a great panel that many are familiar with. You want to appeal to the most people possible, and by getting software that no one likes or is familiar with can potentially drive customers away rather than to your company.
I'll have to agree with you. It's not the panel that makes the company stand out. It's the quality of service and support. And the best deal isn't always the right one.

Well you got to give the customers what they want and what they want is:

1) Cpanel (usually)
2) 24/7 support (at least don't make them wait for an answer for 12 hours cuz it's not good for the business)
3) As little downtime as possible
4) A live chat on your website is advisable

Web hosting company should take care of customers and provide quality services. I think this is enough.

Hello Wilson,

I have been in the industry for a while, and I have noticed a lot of people are looking for the top control panels. I use Cpanel/WHM and I have to say that it is stable and I enjoy it. But you have to look at the market. I would suggest you look through request ads on multiple forums such as NP, WHT and others to see what exactly clients are looking for. This will give you a better idea on what route to take.

Thanks

TravisT said:

Heh, sorry all. My love of directadmin came through a little too strong there. I'm merely saying there are other options, and it's not a bad idea to look around a bit before going with the most widely available product.

cPanel after all does have its drawbacks, but does have a large number of features--and sometimes you pay the price for that. It's a memory hog, anyone who has try to run it on a server or VPS with limited RAM availability can vouch for that. Every other major control panel on the web has less of a memory footprint: Plesk, Webmin (especially webmin), Directadmin, ISPConfig, zPanel, and the dozen or so others. Granted, they don't have the features of cPanel, but stability and software restrictions also seems to be an issue.

Some examples of the software restriction would be the inability to upgrade to apache 2.x without a bit, or an insane amount of difficulty. I believe there was a brief period when PHP5 wasn't compatible, even has a non-supported addon, but I could be wrong. Not to mention the rest of the services that cPanel interacts with--ftp, mail, ssh, DNS). But those things apply to all control panels, so consider that a rant against them in general. However, I will say that Webmin and Directadmin offer a much greater array of applications to choose from, but sometimes the process of upgrading is worse.

Then there's the matter of security. A quick search through security bulletins yielded over 75 results for cPanel exploits--mind you, most are patched quickly, but it's always during that short pre-patch period that the exploits really matter. I'm not saying that the code underneath is bad, but rather that it's a victim of it's own success, and lots of people are trying to find vulnerabilities.

My emphasis here is stability and security, which I believe are more important in the long run than features and ease of use. And no matter what you use in terms of software, you're always going to run into that fact. If you gain a feature, you lose some security and stability, simply because no application is error proof.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Harry said:
I think it depends. Some members might like the new panel you have.

Yeah, some might, but judging from our experience with the cPanel 11 update, most will not.

Customers want consistency. They don't want to log in to their control panel one day and find out that it all looks and works differently. They logged in to do something and they just want to get around to doing it.

The cPanel 11 update that I mentioned was very instructive in this. Even though it was still cPanel and by and large everything was pretty much in the same place and works largely the same, it still generated an unprecedented amount of support tickets because customers were unfamiliar with the new interface and didn't know how to do things.

And that was just an update to the same control panel. I can only imagine what would have happened if we actually switched to a different control panel altogether.

hostingpuppy said:
Customers want consistency. They don't want to log in to their control panel one day and find out that it all looks and works differently. They logged in to do something and they just want to get around to doing it.

I completely agree with your perspective on the issue.

Though there might be a small niche of people who wouldn't mind to switch and learn new admin panel, or the newcomers who will not object against simpler admin as a] simpler is better for them b] they are not used to cPanel etc. so they don't mind.

I have once switched from cPanel to DirectAdmin (as a regular user, not webhost) and it was refreshing. (Sadly that host closed the doors soon, so that was only a short experience.)

Status
Not open for further replies.