Learning Codes

Athens

Being the continual learner that I am, I have a question. Some people say that if you want to learn PHP, you need to learn HTML first. If that's true, why is that? Is HTML kind of a precursor to PHP?

Yes, it's true.. you should know HTML first - it will at least lend you in the learning of opening and closing tags.

It's not required, but it can be helpful. PHP itself goes far beyond HTML, and really if you want to know PHP you should learn some CGI/C++ code. At that rate, before you learn C++ you should know the basics of Pascal or Basic.

You can go back pretty far with what language to learn first, but if you have the desire to learn, you can definitely dive into PHP without knowing the other things. Generally people say you need HTML as there are many times where your PHP code will have HTML code inserted to it (in cases of writing tables, variables in alignment etc etc). So it can definitely be helpful.

Yes it is true like Handsonhosting said.

A good place to learn is learnable.com is is where I learned most of what I know.

So if the devil is in the details, HTML is the devil? It makes sense what you guys are saying. You should learn HTML but you don't have to because you can learn as you go. Thanks.

That's true. I would still recommend to learn at least the basics of HTML before moving to PHP. You will always need HTML when working with websites. Without knowing any HTML it might be hard to move forward to PHP.

I always recommend to start with HTML before moving to anything that requires the previous language. For example, it's hard to jump straight to jquery if you haven't learned javascript before.

You can think of it as like this, HTML will build the foundation of the PHP script code. Without any HTML knowledge and if your trying to make a site out of PHP it will be hard because HTML will make up the visuals of the web site.

PHP and HTML should work in harmony.
PHP used for the coding and HTML to handle the markup.

combining these two and you can create "magic", if you only know one of two, you will probably end up with something that is perfectly coded but with a horrible front-end for the user.

The best way to learn is to find something you want to make or even create your own version of an existing thing. You want to make sure that it's very simple but complicated enough to help you understand what PHP is doing and the basics of HTML + CSS. You're probably going to need to learn some CSS if you want to make a usable website since that is going to create the "look and feel" of your website. The HTML is like the building blocks - what keeps your paragraphs inside a certain area, even if CSS dictates how big of an area. You'll want to use PHP to do the background processing and I think that you'll find it out very quickly once you have something you want to work on. Start with some tutorials you find on Google maybe even ones that will build a simple project since that seems to be the best way to learn!

Yes because PHP acts like a business logic only and HTML gives you the presentation for normal users who are suppose to use your application.

Being the continual learner that I am, I have a question. Some people say that if you want to learn PHP, you need to learn HTML first. If that's true, why is that? Is HTML kind of a precursor to PHP?

It is true. Learning code is similar to learning math honestly.. You can't learn Algebra without learning basic math first (well, you can but it will be a lot harder for you and you will be pretty lost!). No matter what your website is about, it will need HTML in one area or another so learning HTML should be your first priority. It will also make learning other languages much easier as well.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Yes it is true, you should know the basic web development techniques and for that is php or asp.net, you need to know basic HTML in order to use php in your scripts, if you don't know html then your page would not be validated with w3c rules, hope this helps.

Its not critical but there is a natural progressing. Its like learnig to walk then progressing to a run, you have the basics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting