Lets talk about Kernels!

The kernel is the part of the operating system that handles I/O. It is, essentially, the interface between the OS and apps & hardware.

Not sure what you mean by the grade of importance, but two things to take away:

- the OS won't run without a kernel. :D

- you should keep the kernel updated religiously for security updates. (Non security updates are not as critical.)

The kernel is of upmost importance. Not only does it arbitrate between the hardware and the software, but it performs all of the task scheduling and execution.

It is the modification of the linux kernel, that lets OpenVZ run multiple containers with multiple operating systems on a single server without virtualisation.

It is the modification of the OpenVZ kernel, that allows different users to run in different containers in CloudLinux, bringing resource control and stability to shared hosting.

The kernel is the lifeblood of any Unix type system and is of upmost importance.

Last edited:
Hey edigest,when you update a kernel what happens if you run all with enter on the configuration of it?

installing and updating kernels promts to you answering on depth configuration questions

That's not always the case -- may be OS dependent.

For example, I always order servers with the latest CentOS pre-installed and then install CloudLinux over that. The CL install requires no intervention/configuration.

I also use KernelCare for rebootless kernel updates.

I'm a firm believer in not making life any more difficult than absolutely necessary. :D

Please papaito go here
https://www.kernel.org/
Latest Stable Kernel:
download it and install it on your machine,it will be better for you nothing will happen I promiss and you will see what vegas talks about

Please papaito go here
https://www.kernel.org/
Latest Stable Kernel:
download it and install it on your machine,it will be better for you nothing will happen I promiss and you will see what vegas talks about
That is for compiling your own kernel from source you would compile only the modules you need or want.
If you do not know what you are doing you can make machine unbootable

Hi,

There are 2 ways to have the kernel updated on your server, the one is via yum and the other is manual.

With yum its really simple and a standard built kernel module is downloaded and installed on your server.

However, if you have specific requirements and don't to rely on any other version of kernel that has been compiled by others, you have to download the source files of the kernel and header and manually compile it.

Now, when you manually compile the kernel, it prompts for various parameters that your kernel should support, so it is up to you to decide what parameters or modules you want your kernel to load. just go through it step by step, give a thought and enabled and compile the kernel.

That prompting is what Im talking about,say override all with enter is enable most stuff,at least it worked for me on making my machine detect hardwares

If you do not know what you are doing you can make machine unbootable
Dont worry centos lets you choose which kernel to boot with,if you see it dont get pissed or offended,Im fine thank you

Hi,

You can also take the old config file to compile the new kernel, this way, the current selection stays as it and gives you option to check for more other than the current one.

@vegas, edigest has already stated that he is using CloudLinux, so doing what you suggest would damage his hosting as the majority of the feature cloudlinux provides are provided by the modified kernel.
A little knowledge can cause alot of damage.

Hi,

CloudLinux is not an opensource, so you have to depend on the kernel they are building and features that they put into it. CloudLinux basically works at the kernel level to isolate and provide the features. I dont think they will provide any source code for the kernel they use, so you cannot just manipulate the kernel they provide.

Im seeing how you like to isolate those kernels with your clouds fantasies which I see you enjoy indulging

Hi,

I have thought of it, but really could not find any way until now to isolate the kernel to get more information. May be if anyone has done this or tried this, please update.