Looking to Start a Gaming Related Forum

First Timer

I have a bad feeling that this is in the wrong forum...not sure where it would go so that's why I put it in General. Sorry if it is in the wrong forum. Anyways...

I'm looking to start a multiple-project game site. This includes a Wiki, forum, website and a couple of other things but I honestly am clueless on where to start. I have friends who have and have had a game related site, but they now run a business-related site which I will not name of course, but still. I'd like to approach this much differently than many game sites go.

What I mean by "clueless" is that I know what I want in the actual site, what to call it and that sort of thing, I just don't know where or what to do. So where and/or what should I do?

A couple of things;

If you have friends who have already done this, talk to them and pick their brain. Many people will share how they got started and what you need to do. What worked for them, and what didn't.

You said you have ideas on what you want to do, and then said that you don't know where to start. My recommendation is to start SOMETHING. Thinking about which to do first doesn't help, just go with one, and then start on the next.

If you're looking to integrate blogs & forums & stats etc for various gaming, then I'd start on the forums first - setup your categories etc, and then crank out the blog and get some exposure in search engines. That would be my approach anyway.

Start up the forum first, this way the main point of your idea is done. Afterwards, focus on the other stuff you have planed for the site. I hope this helps you a little bit.