Mails Delivery issue

dr_dats

E-mail Delivery issue

Hey all,

So I got a new dedicated server, and migrated everything over to in last week.

In the last few hours, ive noticed emails are being rejected by hotmail, msn and live. All emails sent from any account on the server are rejected. This is the error messag I get back from these services when email is sent to them

2009-11-08 23:05:01 1N7OJB-0005h6-73 ** myemail@hotmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<hidden@server.hostname.com> SIZE=1939: host mx3.hotmail.com [65.55.92.184]: 550 SC-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery information and support

Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening? Ive checked all of the IP addresses given to me and that are is use on the server, and none of them are blacklisted. This is kind of frustrating me.

Last edited:
Are you doing any mass mailing? A lot of companies place an hourly limit to how much emails you can send to avoid getting flagged and added to spam lists. Anything above that hourly limit will also get bounced back.

No. In fact, I restrict the number of outoging messages to 100 per hour per account on the server. (I've got th entire server)

And another issue thats driving me nuts, I cant connect to the outgoing mail server from Outlook on any of the accounts on the server, even with SMTP authentication checked in outlook.

To be honest, your issue is a bit beyond my technical abilities/knowledge, but I hope someone comes across this thread who will be able to give you some more specific information or directions on what to check. :)

Im at a loss as well regarding the hotmail rejections.

Outlook, I thought it was the firewall, so I disabled it for a bit, tried connecting with it turned off thinking it was CSF. Nope, I was wrong. I've gone through all the settings in WHM a hundred times trying to figure out if I have something unchecked.... cant seem to find it.

Do you have a reverse dns entry for your main IP address?

Forwarders to hotmail and other popular free email domains are also notorious for getting all of that catch-all spam seen as originating from your server even though its just passing through.

For the SMTP, have you tried connecting to the IP address instead of the domain name? Do you receive any error messages that you can share?

Forwarders to hotmail and other popular free email domains are also notorious for getting all of that catch-all spam seen as originating from your server even though its just passing through.

For the SMTP, have you tried connecting to the IP address instead of the domain name? Do you receive any error messages that you can share?

rdns is working on the server IP, my IP resolves to servername.myhostname.com

As for the SMTP issue, I have tried connecting to the servers IP address. Same issue. I can connect to the incomming server, just not the out going server.

The error that gets spat out is the typical "Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing SMTP Server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your...."

rdns is working on the server IP, my IP resolves to servername.myhostname.com

As for the SMTP issue, I have tried connecting to the servers IP address. Same issue. I can connect to the incomming server, just not the out going server.

The error that gets spat out is the typical "Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing SMTP Server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your...."

Hi!
I'm sorry to report..but this problem is not an easy fix. You're going to have to set reverse dns and spf records..and go to the website and do what it says to do.

It's going to take some time and effort..just know that ahead of time.

>>>>> Set up an account on live.com for yourself..and then file a ticket with Microsoft about this. Doing this will help you speed things up a bit.

>>>As far as your other outlook problem..you need to properly setup a mail server.
The easiest way to do that is bring in a control panel that does a lot of that for you.

The harder way is to manually set it up...there are many how-to's on the web..just search for them with your OS choice.

Bryon

Last edited:
Looks like I also need to set up SPF records on each account and Domain Keys. SPF records I'm fine with.

Domain keys on the hand.....

Anyone know how to set up Domain Keys?