Managed hosting or self-managed – which one do you prefer and why?

Support.MainVPS

Do you prefer the ease of managed hosting or the control of self-managed solutions for your website? Where do you find the balance between convenience and autonomy in managing your online presence?

Last edited:
Partially managed for us, but it differs on the customer.

If a customer has no IT background, self managing is not an option.

If a customers main INCOME is from the website he runs ( Eg. let's say its a review site, or an online store etc ), that generates several thousands or more per month, it would make sense paying a few hundred or more for a fully managed service that mantains his server and ensures that its up for as much as possible so he can earn more money.

Furthermore, self managed -> an issue causing downtime -> Need to fix it asap, doesn't matter if you're asleep, on holidays or busy with family etc.

Managed solutions -> downtime -> open ticket -> continue sleeping/holiday/family time ( and periodically check the status of the site )

As a customer, I cannot manage anything myself, so I always look for managed services.

So it's not even a question of convenience for me, but a necessity.

It really helps knowing your customer. A significant percentage of our clients are folks that aren't tech savvy, so we simply turned 'managed service' into a feature across all our services, including VPS and dedicated categories, even though those clients are traditionally more savvy and are able to handle things on their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikstrahost