MariaDB Cloud - DBaaS

bigredseo

HD Community Advisor
Staff member
I received an alert today regarding a prelaunch of the MariaDB Cloud service. I've used MariaDB over the years on various servers, but now it appears that they're going to offer a Cloud Solution with Failover, Self Healing and Backups.

It sounds pretty interesting.

Anyone else received the alert - here's the link on their website - https://mariadb.com/products/skysql/

Having remote DB server is pretty stupid performance wise I would think... Unless it's literally apart of a data center solution. Like being hooked to the private network or what not.

I would not think it would be like a email hosted solution where it's can be segregated service since it doesn't need to be local for performance reasons.

It'd be interesting to see the benchmarks and what extra requirements are needed - or at what point the DB kicks in vs static generated files.

We used to run separate drives for databases years ago, and in cluster situations, we ran separate servers for the databases. But given that the MariaDB Cloud solution is new, hopefully we'll get some figures and tests with regards to performance. Haven't seen much yet.

It'd be interesting to see the benchmarks and what extra requirements are needed - or at what point the DB kicks in vs static generated files.

We used to run separate drives for databases years ago, and in cluster situations, we ran separate servers for the databases. But given that the MariaDB Cloud solution is new, hopefully we'll get some figures and tests with regards to performance. Haven't seen much yet.

I mean take our game servers for instance. They are hosted in Chicago IL USA. So if the cloud is anywhere else it will likely be garbage performance just because of the latency overheads.

It just feels to me that it would not be as performance as a VPS in the same building like we have it currently and most other game providers have it as well.

As for web, most shared hosts already includes this as well so where would this service make sense yet not be so "bad"?

Yeah, not exactly an individual shared account type system or someone running WordPress (for the most part). The Cloud DB end of things would be more geared at large scale enterprise accounts.

VPS and Dedicated Servers are perfectly fine for many people, but once you get into large scale, being able to power-on additional resources is critical (without having to overpower normal pre-rendered type pages).

I'm referring mainly to sites generally 1M+ page views per day.. hundreds of thousands of sessions per day, all needing a failover solution. We work with a large eCommerce site currently with databases split by region for some items, products etc on a completely separate database and customer information stored on other locations but imported for the particular browsing session. Much more complicated than a single database running WordPress or Joomla etc.

One advantage that I can see would be having customer information stored at several point locations which would allow faster access on those lookups without having to use a central database.

While Google Cloud and Amazon and Azure all offer solutions, the move for MariaDB into that architecture is an interesting one.

Nobody is producing much in terms of latency information at this time.