Me 1 - Spammers 19762

Will

Well, I seem to have got one up on those darn spammers on my vBulletin forum. I just installed a hack that adds any new user's first 10 posts to the moderation queue if they contain certain keywords or any URL's. Seems to be working so far!

Nice idea. I have been trying to implement something like this for a while, but keep forgetting. Which site is it at?

I can't express how much I hate spam! I've just taken a blog offline because it was receiving 20+ spam comments a day and I really couldn't be bothered dealing with it anymore.

If you use wordpress go for the askimet plugin... it seems to stop everything thrown at it. The other option is to switch off comments or make people sign up to comment.

Hi Matt, thanks for that. I'll take a look right away. I set it so that people had to sign up to comment AND deleted the user causing the problem but they still came. I was quite surprised. I may have been using an out of date version though.

Yep, out dated versions can cause problems. Another way around is to rename the comments file which usually helps block the spam. Let me know if you want me to run the update for you. Ive done it several times before.