methods of payment

What are the conditions? I personally think it's more secure when a customer gives me cash in hand, but maybe that's not an option :)

We've had no issues with the various payment methods - check, credit card, paypal. Nearly 20 years in the business (has '94 really been that long ago!) - still no issues.

We accept Paypal, Google Checkout, and cash from business clients. We reserve the right to withhold services until the check completely clears bank processing, usually 7 to 14 business days. No problems whatsoever.

I have been using PayPal for probably about 6 years now and I have never had a problem. I will continue to use PayPal for sure. I love it! Good Luck

When we launch, our initial payment methods will be PayPal, 2Checkout and Google Checkout, however, once everything is up and running correctly and I've scanned our host server for PCI compliance, we'll be opting in for PayPal Payments Pro, so we can accept PayPal Balance, Credit/Debit cards and Telephone payments.

Once that comes into play, we'll be dropping 2Checkout and Google Checkout.

Once that comes into play, we'll be dropping 2Checkout and Google Checkout.

It may not be necessary to drop these other payment methods (if they're not costing you). You're providing another payment method to clients, so that's always good.

If you incur a monthly fee, it's wise to drop them, or if you incur extra fees at he end of the year for accounting etc, but beyond that, you may want to keep those - especially when starting out.

What you do not want to do in this business is limit your payment methods. PayPal accounts for only 1/3 of the money we take in. Customers want options.

As far as a payment gateway PayPal is the least flexible and honestly cost us the most amount in time and money fixing payment issues with them. Biggest issue with PayPal is the fact if a customer has a subscription set up with you PayPal can't determine weather or not a payment has been made to an invoice.

Case in point. Customer has subscription, subscription fails on first attempt, customer pays onetime payment with PayPal, four days later subscription is paid, client calls asking why we double charged their PayPal account(we all know that is not possible). We spend time on the phone explaining, refunding and so on.

Here's the main point, offer one form of payment option only and you will loose business. From our stand point if we didn't have to offer PayPal as an option we wouldn't.

So what this thread first asked,
"What is the best and most secure methods of payment?"

None are the best and all can be secure if they and your services are set up correctly.

Case in point. Customer has subscription, subscription fails on first attempt, customer pays onetime payment with PayPal, four days later subscription is paid, client calls asking why we double charged their PayPal account(we all know that is not possible). We spend time on the phone explaining, refunding and so on.

i get this too and its a pain

Here's the main point, offer one form of payment option only and you will loose business. From our stand point if we didn't have to offer PayPal as an option we wouldn't.

this is how we feel

we offer

Paypal, Google Checkout, voice pay and have just started offering 2checkout

as 2CO allows clients to pay using paypal, we have disabled Paypal for new clients.

What is the best and most secure methods of payment?

When going US I would use credit cards. Creditcards have a high penetration and with new techniques that triangulate all the customer's data most fakers will get blocked. If you just choose the right provider, take some time to configure the settings and active the right services nothing will beat a credit card.

In Europe it is much harder to choose for "one" system. All countries have different systems and there is not one "payment method" with a majority share. Payment through wiring money seems the universal method but has its downsides. In europe I would go for multiple options ranging from paypal, wired transfer and creditcards.

2Checkout is better then PayPal, they use fraud scanner and also sometimes they do a phone verification.

Don't use PayPal directly otherwise they are monkey and they will play with your account(Freez/Defrez/Ban/)

Currently using 2Checkout to accept credit card payments directly and PayPal as well (for those that prefer it over 2CO). We also use AlertPay for a very, very small percentage of clients but I'm actually thinking about dropping them due to all of their problems with credit card processing...