Microsoft Support

Will

Has anyone any experience of Microsoft support? I submitted a problem yesterday and I'm waiting a (proper) response.

Response from Microsoft - 12/06/2006 13:34:18
[admin work qTrack]

Your Request - 12/06/2006 12:50:05
Problem Description: I really feel like I am missing something particularly basic here. I have created a form and dragged a webbrowser onto the form. (System.windows.forms.webbrowser)

If the page viewed in the webbrowser contains a link that invokes the javascript: window.close - the webbrowser control becomes unusable.

None of the events on the control are fired (or at least are fired with unique properties that can be checked) and for all intents and purposes the control is still accesible in code.

The problem appears to be the same here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253219/en-us and I have tried creating a control derived from the class in VB.net and overriding the WndProc but with no avail - I cannot find the message I am looking for on either the control or the parent form.

Thanks for your help with this - if it's not a bug and I've missed something basic, then I truly apologise for wasting your time.
Operating System:Windows XP

The problem is driving me insane and I really need it working! I mean - what the hell kind of reply is "[admin work qTrack]"?

Not sure... I have only contacted them a couple of times by phone and both times things were worked out pretty quickly.

I wonder if it's some kind of internal routing code to pass it on to another dept?

The problem is that usually the big companies outsource their support, so you're probably not actually speaking to Microsoft rather just a droid with access to the internal (rather than the public) version of the technet system.

I had a problem resolved quite well a year or so ago and if I remember correctly the solution came back with some sample javascript to help.

If you don't like the answer, then go back to them, you'll either get a resolution of they'll loose the call :)

A guy emailed me back saying he understands the issue, has replicated it where he is and is working on a workaround or getting me info on how to deal with the problem. This was on the 14th so I emailed back today and he apologised for taking so long and said he'd get back to me soon.

I hope it gets resolved soon, the problem is really getting on my nerves!

And to top it all I'm having major issues installing Visual Studio 2005 Professional on my laptop, it goes to the "insert disk 2" and when I insert the second disk I get the blue screen of death. I suspect it's to do with the SQL 2005 installation on disk 2 but there's no error in the event log or other information easily to hand.

Oh - and my issue above, it's confirmed as a bug. How bad is this release from Microsoft? I've never seen something so buggy from them. (I'm not particularly a Microsoft hater and I've never really encountered any show-stopping problems like these before.)

I've copied all files onto my hard disk and running a minimal install.

Error 1309: Error reading from file: C:\Visual Studio 2005 Pro Disk 1\_15780_RTL_x86_enu_NETCF_v2.0.cab. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

Retry | Cancel
Erm, no you won't find it there. It's on Disk 2 you f***ing muppet! No "Browse" function, either. This product was very rushed.

Very strange. I usually copy cd's to the drive and install from the hard drive so that if it needs the files in future I dont need to go find them all.

Matthew said:
Very strange. I usually copy cd's to the drive and install from the hard drive so that if it needs the files in future I dont need to go find them all.

Yeah, Office 2000 taught me that lesson!

I just find it strange that even developers as low down the chains as me are filing bug reports. Never had to do that before, most problems I encounter have documentation / others with the same problem online.

Hi Matt. The guy I spoke to clearly knew what he was doing and didn't seem to want to palm me off with an inaccurate or incomplete response.

He quickly reproduced the error and queried it against the .Net framework team responsible. When a response was received he passed on the information to me and tried to find a workaround - the workaround was to not use the .Net Framework's web browser control but to use the IE dlls myself to render HTML on the application's form.

He said the problem had been elevated and submitted a bug report to be fixed in the next service pack.

In the end, although the response was slow (over 2 weeks, I think) it was worth waiting for. The problem itself, however, should not have been there in the first place - it seems a little basic to have been overlooked.

Thanks Will, it's good to hear a success story (in the end)! It's good to hear that Microsoft put in genuine effort to help you solve the problem.