Money back guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
From over the years from what I have always seen most companies give is usually a 30 day money back guarantee. I've actually never seen it longer then 30 days, but again every company is different and each one will have their own policies.

What we've opted to offer in lieu of money back guarantees on the shared side are free trials - no credit card required. So far we've not seen any abuse.

Hi Steve!

I am seeing more and more of this, too. From the provider standpoint, have you seen it positively affect your conversion rate for visitors to signups?

30 days is pretty normal and also understandable, as money-back guarantee is provided to a client that he can be sure of the quality of the host and i think within 30 days he can test and can check it, only spammers can go for 60 days, use the services and later demand an refund, for testing of the service 30 days are enough and mostly hosts provides it for 30 days too ..

I just offer the basic money back periods, of 3-14 Days depending on where the buyer resides. Although, I do state refunds can be received upto 60 days after ordering, at our discretion, then after that it’s no refunds.

I also have a policy of not accepting multiple refunds requests from the same customer, and either to not provide additional refunds or to provide it as account credit as they aren’t entitled to a further refund under the distant sellers acts, as they’ve already tried the service.

For my Free Web Hosting company, I provide upgrades on behalf of my sponsors, and they provide a 30 day money back guarantee. As there’s no direct association with the sponsor and the client, apart from the fact it’s the sponsors PayPal/Bank Account, I should probably add billing information in my terms of service.

I also have a policy of not accepting multiple refunds requests from the same customer, and either to not provide additional refunds or to provide it as account credit as they aren’t entitled to a further refund under the distant sellers acts, as they’ve already tried the service.

No such thing as distance selling acts now it is now
The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 and this applies to web hosting

Cancelling services
Your right to cancel You have 14 days from entering into a service contract in which you can cancel it.

The trader shouldn’t start providing the service before the 14 day cancellation period has ended, unless you have requested this.

If you request a service starts straightaway In this instance you will still have the right to cancel, but you must pay for the value of the service that is provided up to the point you cancel.

For example, if you buy a service like gym membership and start using the gym and then change your mind within this 14 day time period, you will be refunded but could be charged for the amount of gym time you used.

If the service is provided in full within 14 days The right to cancel can be lost during the cancellation period if the service is provided in full before the 14 days elapses.

Exemptions There are some contracts where you won’t have a right to cancel a service. For example, hotel bookings, flights, car hire, concerts and other event tickets, or where the trader is carrying out urgent repairs or maintenance.

Always check the terms & conditions 14 days is the minimum cancellation period that consumers must be given and many sellers choose to exceed this, so always check the terms and conditions in case you have longer to change your mind.

For my Free Web Hosting company, I provide upgrades on behalf of my sponsors, and they provide a 30 day money back guarantee. As there’s no direct association with the sponsor and the client, apart from the fact it’s the sponsors PayPal/Bank Account, I should probably add billing information in my terms of service.

The MBG between you and your sponsors has nothing to do with your clients, so even if your sponsors give a 30 day MBG you could still just give your clients a 14 day MBG.

why would clients pay direct to your sponsors paypal/bank accounts.

even though i dont have my hosting business i still have my resellerclub account and The SSL store accounts as these have clients, these are under my own domains easyhostdomains.co.uk, easyhostdomain.com and powerssl.co.uk and any payments client make go to my paypal account and then i pay resellerclub and The SSL Store their prices for the items

No such thing as distance selling acts now it is now
The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 and this applies to web hosting

The MBG between you and your sponsors has nothing to do with your clients, so even if your sponsors give a 30 day MBG you could still just give your clients a 14 day MBG.

why would clients pay direct to your sponsors paypal/bank accounts.

even though i dont have my hosting business i still have my resellerclub account and The SSL store accounts as these have clients, these are under my own domains easyhostdomains.co.uk, easyhostdomain.com and powerssl.co.uk and any payments client make go to my paypal account and then i pay resellerclub and The SSL Store their prices for the items

Theoretically, despite clients paying the sponsors directly, I could choose to shorten the MBG, and there would be no reason for them to complain.

Also, clients pay directly into the sponsors accounts, as they use upgrade payments as a way to recoup the cost of the service they are sponsoring me with. Although, I do have general control of plans and prices at this point, as long as the payments go into their account, I don’t think they would be bothered.

For The SSL Store & ResllerClub, I have accounts with both and can resell through them if I want, but I don’t use either, apart from ResellerClub, which I use for some domain extensions at NowYouHost.

For The SSL Store & ResllerClub, I have accounts with both and can resell through them if I want, but I don’t use either, apart from ResellerClub, which I use for some domain extensions at NowYouHost.

I have white label stores for both and i would say 80% of SSL and domain sales are through these with only 20% being through the WHMCS modules when i ran my hosting.
As both these really run themselves and i only get notified when a sale is made i just kept these running

15 days... theres too much fraud out there.... and we also never allow refunds from specials/promos unless the client is already been with us for a long time....

Usually, you will see your money back garantee for 30 days. Some are giving 60 days. And others more. But check very well terms of use. And see exactly what will be reimbursed. Because you may be refunded but not entirely. For example, if you want to buy a dedicated server and there is a setup fee. You pay everything at once. then you are not satisfied. If you ask for reimbursement and you have not checked Terms Of Use , If setup of server is not free, then you will not be reimbursed for that.

Usually, you will see your money back garantee for 30 days. Some are giving 60 days. And others more. But check very well terms of use. And see exactly what will be reimbursed. Because you may be refunded but not entirely. For example, if you want to buy a dedicated server and there is a setup fee. You pay everything at once. then you are not satisfied. If you ask for reimbursement and you have not checked Terms Of Use , If setup of server is not free, then you will not be reimbursed for that.

You dont know this industry well do you?

Things like VPS, Dedicated Servers, Domains, SSL Certs, IPs etc. are normally all exempt from any Money Back Guarantee.

Most Probably that's 30 days of providing money back guarantee but mainly varies from provider to provider.

Average Money back gurantee

I am working in this industry for an along. Based on my research, I suggest 3 days to 1 month depending upon the cost.

I feel 30 days would be the most common with it going up and down accordingly.

Don't just look at what others are doing though, make sure you meet any legal money back guarantees. For example, in Europe you are legally obliged to provide a 14+ day money back guarantee for all goods or services purchased online.

Most hosting companies are giving 7, 14 or 30 days money back, depends about their money back guarantee policy! But these are the most default.

Like Alex stated that a MBG also has to comply with the host companies LEGAL requirements.

As in the EU any online company must adhere to The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013

Cancelling goods and services
The Consumer Contracts Regulations also give you key cancellation rights when you enter into contracts at a distance over the phone, online, from a catalogue or face-to-face with someone who has visited your home, for instance.

These cancellation rights are more generous than if you bought goods or services from a high street shop. For details on your rights when you buy from a high street shop, read our guide to the Consumer Rights Act.

Your right to cancel

Your right to cancel an order for goods starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive your goods.

If your order consists of multiple goods, the 14 day period runs from when you get the last of the batch.

This 14 day period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel, you then have a further 14 days to actually send the goods back.

Your right to a refund

You should get a refund within 14 days of either the trader getting the goods back, or you providing evidence of having returned the goods (for example, a proof of postage receipt from the post office), whichever is the sooner.

A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary.

The extent to which you can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop.

Generally, 30-day money back guarantee is offered from all hosting providers but it varies with the provider policy if they provide a full refund or provide a pro-rated refund for the remaining days of the 1st month of usage in return of cancellation of the hosting service.

Out of the many hosting companies that I've researched so far, 30-days is the average number of money-back guarantee days.

Other variations are 60-days, 90-days, and even anytime.

There is a lot of talk about money back guarantee. DNS usually propogates within 72 hours the most, so having a money back guarantee of about 30 days is a great timeframe to allow the customer to decide if the hosting he or she has is good and working to their satisfaction as well as having all the features that they want. We provide a 30 day money back guarantee and many other companies I know also has 30 days as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.