Multiple brands or one?

DJAB-Milo

Lots of companies have multiple brands (EIG, UK2, HostDime etc...) - What are your options for what is best?

Having one brand and focusing on that one brand to make it as successful as possible? Or having multiple brands and spreading your wings a little?

I think it's good to have multiple brands.

Well why do you feel its better?

I think its best to have one brand and do what you can with that. It is quite common for brands to start to fall when they get to a certain size and that is just one brand. Imagine having multiple brands at the sizes you want.

For us, we use just the one brand. While the alure of multiple brands is enticing, the thing that you must remember is that with multiple brands you must have multiple marketing campaigns - this ultimately means you're spending twice as much money to compete against yourself in the same market.

Now if you're running a budget hosing campaign in one company, and a VPS campaign in a different company - then you're in different markets, but again you have to spend twice as much money, and risk losing the lower end users who will seek out an alternet company when they want to upgrade.

If you run a single brand covering multiple markets, you can now take your twice as much budget and flood the market for a single brand.

A multi-brand strategy allows you to take more "shelf space", or in our case, search engine results space. You can saturate a market by filling all price and quality gaps, and you can cater to brand switchers who like to experiment.

For example, the Endurance Internaltional Group owns many web hosting brands - FatCow, iPower, iPage, homestead, bluehost, hostgator, a small orange, justhost and domain.com - these are all under one major organization, but by having multiple brands they can corner a market pretty easily - and take advantage of those that like to bounce between places too!

Just keep in mind that multiple brands means multiple marketing strategies.

One Brand I think it would be somewhat deceptive if your offering bad service at one shop then open a new shop to sell bad service under a different name brand.

@DJB Sure they would notice one company has unlimited everthing and the other has set plans both are saying two different things but one goal in the same brand

From Marketing, better use multiple brands to offer different service for different users segments.
If you concentrating only to one segment of users then use only one brand.

Lots of companies have multiple brands (EIG, UK2, HostDime etc...) - What are your options for what is best?

Having one brand and focusing on that one brand to make it as successful as possible? Or having multiple brands and spreading your wings a little?

I think it's good to have single brand :thumbup:

When acquisitions are made, sometimes it's better to keep an established brand rather than try to integrate it into yours, and this is especially true if they're using a proprietary back end (not all cPanel).

Now a days the trend of formation of group of hosting companies is found commonly, this allows them to spread their wings world wide and eat the competition.

I would focus on one brand until it's successful and well established. Then you can separate home and business customers like banks do and offer different core SLAs.

I think multiple brands :thumbup:

I am running into a similar problem. I have web design business already, Paradise Web Design, and have always offered hosting to design clients. Now I am looking to do more reselling, and I think I should have a separate site/name for that. Instead of something like paradisewebdesign.net/hosting, a separate Paradise Hosting or something (already been asking around for good domain name suggestions).

I am running into a similar problem. I have web design business already, Paradise Web Design, and have always offered hosting to design clients. Now I am looking to do more reselling, and I think I should have a separate site/name for that. Instead of something like paradisewebdesign.net/hosting, a separate Paradise Hosting or something (already been asking around for good domain name suggestions).

Set up a parent brand like Paradise Web Services, then under that have 2 sep sites/brands Paradise Design and Paradise Hosting.

Then for business bank/tax purposes the business is Paradise Web Services
then it would become

Paradise Design part of Paradise Web Services
Paradise Hosting part of Paradise Web Services

Depends on the niche. In theory, if you have enough employees and money to invest, it would of course make sense to target different niches with different brands. If the niche your one brand is in is large enough and you're successful enough, it might not make sense to run different brands though.

Depends on the niche. In theory, if you have enough employees and money to invest, it would of course make sense to target different niches with different brands. If the niche your one brand is in is large enough and you're successful enough, it might not make sense to run different brands though.

normally true, but as the the OP is a web designer who has decided he want to offer hosting then these are 2 different brands of his business, so how i explained earlier would be the best way to run them as separate brands