My first two orders..

DHD-Nick

My first two orders were fraud! What jerks!! That sucks, got me excited.. ah well, whatcha gonna do?

-Nick

That seems to happen. When I started out, I got 10 fraud orders in 5 weeks - and only one real signup during that time period.

It's just spammers on the lookout for their next ex-webhosting company.

I have already started to get random fraud attempst since its mid summer now and Defcon is about to pop up along with Hosting Con and a couple of others. What a pain to deal with but you know its something that comes along with our line of work. :D

Ah, yes..."script kiddie season". When the young wannabe-crackers are just beginning to bud.

Hopefully the CIA or some organization will put a stop to fraud one day... How much better the world would be.

We also just recently started up, and we had 2 signups, one within 3 days got us 20+ spam reports from various hosts, the second person isn't responding to emails or phone messages and hasn't even signed into their server and its been about a week. From now on I think it is going to be a much better idea for us to background check them before we set them up. Make sure they respond to emails, and can get ahold of them on the phone ahead of time.

I only seem to get them once in a while. The ones that suck are those that order, then take and use your services for spam and thent ake and do a fraud through paypal to get their money back. Ive started doing verifications and searches ont heir domain name and names before I let them get to far along.

By the way, how did you find out it was a fraud? How did they try to pay?

I haven't dealt with fraud orders for a few years now since leaving a hosting company a few years ago. But, from what I remember it was usually plain obvious that an order was fraud. We used to see a lot with IP's that were assigned to AOL Germany as well as Nigeria and a few other countries. Also proxy servers and satellite phones are ones to watch out for too. Another way to look out is what domain they use on their site. Does the whois data match the billing address. In some cases it might not, but it's always worth checking.