Need a VM

kabe

I've got a client that needs to run some older software that won't run in anything newer than XP and IE6.

What's a good VM for her?

Thanks in advance.

I think a good and cheap Windows VPS will work fine for her.

Thank you for your reply. She needs a virtual machine to run a software program that runs only on Windows XP and IE6.

She has an XP machine with Windows 8 and the program won't run in compatibility mode so she had to find a vm that would work for her.

I think she downloaded one from Microsoft.

VPS would be nice though.

Support and updates are now stopped for Windows XP by Microsoft and I really doubt any hosting provider is offering it now. There will be no security or other updates will be available.

Better you should upgrade your application to run it on modern OS.

Support and updates are now stopped for Windows XP by Microsoft and I really doubt any hosting provider is offering it now. There will be no security or other updates will be available.

Better you should upgrade your application to run it on modern OS.

Thank you for your input and I agree with you for some different environments other than ours.

We have 17 XP machines and 17 7 machines in my office. We have $1000's of dollars of software running on all the machines. We have software running on the XP machines that won't run on the 7 machines.

My husband and 2 of our daughters still run Autocad2000 on Windows 2000 Pro machines and have no intentions of ever upgrading. They send PDF's of drawings all over the US and several foreign countries on a daily basis. They've never had any intrusions or viruses that I know of.

Out database is built on XP and our server is running XP. We're not going to spend $1000's of more dollars to upgrade our server, rebuild our database and upgrade our software just to make Microsoft more richer,

We have confidence in our abilities to keep our machines safe from any intrusions. Millions of XP users refuse to upgrade also and I say good for them.

We don't believe all the trash that Microsoft puts out trying to sale a piece of junk, our thoughts. Windows 8 will never be run on a machine in my office. Everyone in here hates it and very little of our software will run on it and I refuse to chase the software companies and Microsoft to make them happy.

I know a lot of people in our industry and only a few of them don't use XP and tell me they have no plans to upgrade and will continue to use XP and 7.

We've not upgraded and have no plans to upgrade Photoshop past cs5 and the same with Dreamweaver cs5. Most all the girls in here still use Photoshop cs3 and ImageReady cs2. It's what they like, it works for them and I'm not going to tell them any different.

We've stopped using Dreamweaver and our editor of choice now and has been since it came on the market Expression Web 4.

Expression Web 4 works much better and faster for us, it's also free now. :)

Sometimes a person has to say no and we've said no to upgrade our XP machines, and it's not the first time we've said no to Microsoft and
the software companies.

Cheers! :D

Last edited:
WinXP is not longer supported officially.
It is time you update yourself to the latest platform.

Thank you for your input and advice. Please read my comments and you will see I have no intentions of upgrading.

I am not worried or concerned just because Microsoft no longer supports XP. Millions of XP users feel the same way as me and will not upgrade.

Yee haw it's hot in the valley today. We're down to shorts and no shoes in the office today. :agree:

@Kabe

Total Cost of Ownership, might seem lower by not upgrading, but already you are asking where can you get an XP VPS.

XP is not covered by the Microsoft Licensing that VPS providers have, so it is already becoming a problem for you.
You are obviously a small company, as the TCO for keeping the old stuff running for a medium to large business gets too great quite early on.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you stay with older software you are less likely to become much bigger.

New staff you hire (if expanding) may already by used to new software and will work inefficiently if given old software.

Your computers and software are a fraction of the cost of operating a business (if your doing it properly) so penny pinching is only going to hold you back.

I know exactly how you feel though, we used to do stuff years ago using only centos and an open source billing platform, but as we grew the figures for a supported OS and a commercial billing platform shrinked and become a necessity, so we stopped having to fix billing and OS problems and could concentrate on hosting.

@Kabe

Total Cost of Ownership, might seem lower by not upgrading, but already you are asking where can you get an XP VPS.

XP is not covered by the Microsoft Licensing that VPS providers have, so it is already becoming a problem for you.
You are obviously a small company, as the TCO for keeping the old stuff running for a medium to large business gets too great quite early on.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you stay with older software you are less likely to become much bigger.

New staff you hire (if expanding) may already by used to new software and will work inefficiently if given old software.

Your computers and software are a fraction of the cost of operating a business (if your doing it properly) so penny pinching is only going to hold you back.

I know exactly how you feel though, we used to do stuff years ago using only centos and an open source billing platform, but as we grew the figures for a supported OS and a commercial billing platform shrinked and become a necessity, so we stopped having to fix billing and OS problems and could concentrate on hosting.

Actually, I think you mis understood my post. VM meaning virtual machine not vps.

Small company, well I own a turn key small business consulting company with over 4000 clients and have 17 employees. We use resellers, our personal choice, to host and maintain many of their business and personal websites and have each reseller setup to handle clients different needs in hosting.

As far as OS...we use XP and Windows 7 in our office, again our choice and have no need or time frame to upgrade. Anything above 7 no one in my office will even look at it again.

My husband and our 2 oldest daughters are architectural engineers, offices in here with us and run Windows 2000 Pro NT to run Autocad 2000 on, their personal choice and it works best for them.

Never had any issues with any of our OS, no viruses, could care less what Microsoft thinks or tries to con us into. We're mountain folks and I suppose set in our ways :)

I do understand what you're saying and I certainly appreciate your taking the time to reply and offer suggestions.

If people like you don't do that then it could get some people backed into a corner and maybe hung out to dry.

Once again I thank you.

Cheers everyone!

Still there may be flexible providers who can customize their services to meet your needs. Fo security issues, as this will be a public server and will be used only for a personal application (as I understood), installing a good firewall may do the work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123