Need Dirt Cheap Dedicated Server

jwebby

I am in need of a very cheap dedicated server for learning purposes. I am learning to be a web server administrator and don't need much bandwidth or anything real fast.

What I do need is RedHat 9, the latest cPanel, and the latest Apache. And if I screw something up, reasonable prices to fix it. I am however loaded down with books and experienced in the windows enivroment and windows networking. But I have never ran a web server.

I doubt I will resell any accounts on this machine but there is that possibility.

Thanks

James

You can also contact me on ICQ - 217193212
Or yahoo messenger - jwebbyim

Sorry, when you said you were "learning to be a web server administrator" I thought you were serious.

I take it you are a Plesk person. But I've noticed that alot of dedicated plesk plans limit to 100 domains. And If I do decide to resell space the limit you to 100 domains. And yes I am very serious.

Last edited:
No, I'm not a Plesk person.
My point was that if you are going to learn server management the control panel should be the least of your concerns. If fact you should be looking for a server with no control panel at all.
Learning to run a server with cPanel is like learning to drive by hiring a chauffer.

You are very right, but doesn't root access mean "root access"? Maybe being the dummy that I am, I'm missing something here. Also without a control panel I wouldn't be able to resell an account or two. I do have a couple of inhouse Linux machines (server and workstation) but naturally my ISP (cable) doesn't allow web servers or I would put the server live.

But anyways, I really appreciate your advice and feedback, and surely don't mean to argue with you. I welcome all advice, feedback and critisism.

Thanks and I think I speak for many; I really appreciate the work you do for this forum.

James

Root access is the same regardless of the control panel, you are correct.

You should ask your ISP about their web server policy in detail. My ISP doesn't allow web servers but they don't block port 80. I called them and asked about running a web server for a family site and they said that would not be a problem.

This would be a good way to play with a few of the bugs before you go with the dedicated.
I think the cheapest you will find will be something like Managed.com at about $55/month plus whatever they charge for cPanel. cPanel is certainly the best control panel from a customer point of view (imho) but it has a history of security flaws. That would be good to keep you on you toes while learning the server management end of things.

Thanks for the great advice, by any chance are you comcast?

Also just out of curiosity I posted a poll for favorite control panel.

Thanks again. And I won't bother you anymore.

James

Last edited:
Feel free to bother us anytime.
I'm not with Comcast. I'm with a Canadian company called Eastlink.

If you are at all interested in the offer listed below, please contact me at Brendan@Lucid-Hosting.com.

Thank you.

- Intel Pentium III 1.0 GHz
- 20 GB ATA Hard Disk
- 256 MB RAM
- Bandwidth 250 GB
- RedHat 9
- 100% Network Uptime
- cPanel/WHM + Fantastico Included
- Located on www.ThePlanet.com Network (Colocated.)

Monthly Fee Options:
- $69.95 + One time Setup Fee of 24.95.