Never buy from 1and1

Servax

I have twice bought an dedicated server from 1and1.com and I have to say.. Their support is horrible and slow, their servers are also very cheap and I have a feeling that they are often reused. My first server with them was a Celeron and the connection speed was horrible. After I canceled they also refused to let me have DNS controls to my domain, also when I called them to apprive a transfer all they did was hang up on me.

My second server I didn't really get, they say its a 24-72 hour setup and 2 weeks later they did not have my server ready. Luckily one of their support staff helped me cancel it due to long wait times. Phone support is hidden deep within its FAQ and it takes a long time to find their damn dedicated support line. Also once you call them it takes about 2 hours to talk get someone on the line. Most of the support people don't even know what their doing either.

If you didn't have a good experiance with them the first time, why order another server from them?

Don't know about their servers, but I would never buy domain names from them again.
I bought one which I wanted for a reseller, and wanted to use ns1 and ns2.resellerdomain.com as their nameservers, pointing to one of my servers.
The 1and1 control panel doesn't give you this option, only the option to use ns1&ns2.someotherdomain.com, or 1and1's own nameservers.

Everytime I asked them about this, they did one of:
- Tell me how to point to someotherdomain.com
- Tell me I needed to create a subdomain and, when I told them I couldn't do that (not that it helps anyway)
- Tell me I cannot create subdomains on a name only package, that I needed to upgrade to a hosting package, despite me saying I was trying to point the domain to ANOTHER server

Variations on this happened 3 or 4 times, going round and round in a loop for a couple of weeks. I then lost the will to live and gave up, taking my business elsewhere.,,,

Because at the time they were in my price range and I heard they were getting better from some people I know... Also, I thought a P4 server would be better but I didn't expect people making me wait 2 weeks and still nothing.

Yeah, my friend said he payed for a dedicated server from 1and1 a little while ago and he was un-happy with the support as well.

Yeah, now they have a UPDATED stuff... But I bet their stuff is still all stupid and support is still stupid...

Anywho, anyone else have experiences like this with them?

I heard alot of horror stories from customers from every part of their services, for domains, they make every attempt for you not to transfer domains etc

A few of our customers left us for 1and1 and within 3 months actually came back to us because 1/1 support was so bad

Last edited:
1and1 domains are super rip offs, sure so you save about 5 dollars yearly.. But guess what.. Unless you buy a hosting package from them, you get no access to DNS features. Also, even if you do you DO NOT have nameservers or anything of that sort.

I also agree that their 1and1 improved is bull, I recently got a client that had 1and1 and he says their servers for shared hosting are down more then half of the time and when they are up they are usually very laggy and slow...

Well how long were they offering that crazy "Free Hosting" deal that appeared on EVERY deal site on the internet? You know everyone and their pet monkey jumpped on that deal.