New To Hosting Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidshepherdar

I've just recently gotten a domain name at gotonames.com and the simplest hosting plan they had. I've already made my website on dreamweaver and uploaded it to gotonames. My problem is I don't know how to set the default website page.

In gotonames file management there is a folder named with my domain "davidshepherdart.com" the list of folders and files (that are my website) in the "davidshepherdart.com" folder, is what you automatically go to when you type in davidshepherdart.com

any suggestions?

You need to name the default/home page file index.html ;) or create an .htaccess file with:

DirectoryIndex davidshepherdart.html

MOD NOTE: Post edited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your provider should also be able to help this with you via their support department.

It sounds like you need to move everything down to your root directory thats in that folder.

I've just recently gotten a domain name at gotonames.com and the simplest hosting plan they had. I've already made my website on dreamweaver and uploaded it to gotonames. My problem is I don't know how to set the default website page.

In gotonames file management there is a folder named with my domain "davidshepherdart.com" the list of folders and files (that are my website) in the "davidshepherdart.com" folder, is what you automatically go to when you type in davidshepherdart.com

any suggestions?

Simply create the .htaccess file under the davidshepherdart.com folder and insert the following code.

Options -Indexes
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html davidshepherdart.html

The "DirectoryIndex" option will set the index page for your domain and "Options -Indexes" option disabled the directory listing.

Last edited:
My websites not complicated so I just renamed the main page index.html and adjusted everything to that in dreamweaver. Then put it all in a root directory folder davidshpeherdart.html.

Thanks a lot for your help guys :D

Good to hear that you got your website to work good.

For index pages these are the names they can be named to be called up to the browser automatically without having to type the file name and extension to view the page.

They are ,
index.html
index.php
homepage.html
homepage.php

and there are a few more I believe.

Hello,

Main page of your site must start with index.extension so it will work for you if you are using default apache settings.

What control panel are you using there? if cPanel, they mostly should have public_html or www folder, which is the root, so put index.html or edit .htaccess file as described above.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.