Normal Web Hosting vs Cloud Hosting

Just like Linux and Windows servers, each have advantages and disadvantages in their own way, so some people will prefer cloud hosting and some will prefer traditional hosting

Additional question: WIll shared hosts move to cloud servers opposed to dedicated servers to put all their customers on? (I was debating this, because cloud has comparable pricing right about now).

i did try a cloud server out once for my main site and WHMCS, but for some reason WHMCS and even CE would not function correctly on the cloud server

i did try a cloud server out once for my main site and WHMCS, but for some reason WHMCS and even CE would not function correctly on the cloud server

If by cloud server, you mean cloud VPS, I would say it was a problem with your server configuration (Most likely PHP). But if you cloud hosting, your provider could be able to take a look at their configuration to fix your problem. WHMCS and CE just PHP scripts that run on any environment with PHP and required modules.

If by cloud server, you mean cloud VPS, I would say it was a problem with your server configuration (Most likely PHP). But if you cloud hosting, your provider could be able to take a look at their configuration to fix your problem. WHMCS and CE just PHP scripts that run on any environment with PHP and required modules.

yes cloud VPS and the configuration was checked by 2 people along with WHMCS and their was no reason it should not have worked as the configuration was correct.

I think cloud is more preferable due to some benefits here....

• Achieve economies of scale
  • Reduce spending on technology infrastructure
  • Globalize your workforce on the cheap.
  • Streamline processes.
  • Reduce capital costs.
  • Improve accessibility.
  • Monitor projects more effectively.
  • Less personnel training is needed.
  • Minimize licensing new software.
  • Improve flexibility.

I know I am in the minority here, but if your "Cloud" doesn't include the following, I don't consider it Cloud at all:

High Availability
Redundancy

Cloud hosting does have its advantages over a traditional hosting environment but for most, its still a bit on the pricey side however, costs of operating a cloudhosting environment have gone down tremendously in just the past year alone between falling server costs and licensing costs.

Would definitely recommend Cloud hosting to those who require professional solutions. Normal hosting is just fine, however Cloud means better load times for visitors which in turn means better conversion rates.

Cloud hosting is ideal for website/application that will grow in time because cloud hosting is easily scalable and is more reliable as compared to traditional hosting.

I think Cloud hosting is so much batter from normal hosting because
  • Reliable
  • Physically Secure
  • Scalability and Flexible
  • Utility style costing
  • Responsive load balancing

Normal web hosting takes away the need for you to invest in your own infrastructure (servers etc), but still requires you to pay for a fixed amount of compute resource for a given period of time, regardless of how much you are actually using it. This can potentially lead to serious lack of value for money, given that unutilised resources still have to be paid for.

Cloud hosting turns all this on its head. By only paying for what you use, yet still having access to whatever resources you many need at any given point in time, you can quickly respond to changes in business demand without overbuying.

Moreover, since the process for provisioning cloud resources is automated by the cloud management software, you can do this instantaneously, at a few clicks of a mouse.

Simon Freedman
Flexiant

The reply above hit a few nails on the head, as did a few replies before it. But I will try to expand a little bit here though on a few things that have not been mentioned.

1) Cloud Hosting is such a generic term its best to identify exactly what type of hosting require so you can compare apples to apples. There is IaaS, SaaS, PaaS, Cloud Storage, and many more that can all fall under the moniker of "the cloud". Figuring out what type of "cloud" hosting you may be looking for is step one.

2) I figure we are mainly talking about server hosting, so IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) would mainly apply here. But within that IaaS there are many different models of cloud hosting. There is Public Cloud, Private Cloud, and Hybrid Cloud. Choosing which one works best for you depends on your unique needs. Are you hosting a single site, dozens of sites, multiple users, large databases, big data, a hosting business, etc? These need to be considered before choosing a solution.

3) Choose the right hosting partner to work with you on these things. A good consultation can go a long way in avoiding headaches in the future. What happens if you host only offer public cloud but your needs grow and you want to switch thing to a hybrid model or private model? Do you have more than one platform option such a OnApp, VMware, OpenStack, Xen, Microsoft? Which one is best for you?

Consider these things with a qualified hosting partner and you should be off to a good start. Along the way you will likely get to know why the world has starting moving away from traditional VPS services and are moving towards "the cloud".

Cloud Hosting:
• Ability to develop new applications.
• The best security from all the types.
• Very great resources.
• Automatic software integration.
• Quick deployment.
Web Hosting
• VPS, shared might not be as expensive as cloud
• It is scalable. You can change the amount of resources at the moment you need more without rebooting or signing up for other plans.
• More control among you server comparing with shared hosting.
• No IT knowledge required if you sign up for fully managed plans

Cloud hosting isn't more scalable, it's more elastic.

A Cloud VPS (or Server) cannot be bigger than it's host.

As for performance & energy efficiency, hmm, if you say energy efficient, then you are wasting less CPU cycles by increasing density, but that is at the cost or performance.

If you choose performance without increasing density, then you are certainly not energy efficient, as you are using as much or even more equipment.

Cloud is a cheap way to provide high availability, if a node running your server crashes, your server instance can be brought up elsewhere on a different node, rarely without downtime (when the node crashes), but with less downtime than usual.

I think a dedicate server with one customer on it would be as HA as a couple of nodes with cloud software running multiple customers.

Also we see less downtime on cloudvps services than we used to on old VPS, we see even less downtime on dedicated servers.

No science, just observation of a hosting company active since 1999