Offensive Super Bowl Ad Sends Users Scrambling

handsonhosting

Hands-on Web Hosting, a leading provider of cPanel shared, VPS, dedicated, e-commerce and cloud based hosting solutions, today launched a special promotion at the request of numerous users of GoDaddy in response to their distasteful Super Bowl 2013 commercial.

Fullerton, CA, February 4, 2013 – Hands-on Web Hosting, a leading provider of cPanel shared, VPS, dedicated, e-commerce and cloud based hosting solutions, today launched a special promotion at the request of numerous users of GoDaddy in response to their distasteful Super Bowl 2013 commercial.

Within minutes of GoDaddy’s Super Bowl commercial airing, social media sites Twitter, Google+ and Facebook were flooded with comments, most of them negative. While their latest commercial went viral, generating more than 6.5 million views on YouTube within the first 24 hours, the reaction from the general public has been less than positive. Consequently, Hands-on Web Hosting has received several requests from users to transfer their domain name and web hosting away from GoDaddy.

“The saying goes, ‘There’s no such thing as bad publicity’, but when your clients start to terminate services due to a publicity stunt, that’s probably not a good thing,” said Conor Treacy, CEO of Hands-on Web Hosting. “Super Bowl commercials have had a long tradition of being funny or smart, but this one was neither,” he said.

Due to the outcry, Hands-on Web Hosting has released a special promotion for users of
GoDaddy that want to escape – buy 3 months web hosting, get a free 1-year domain transfer! To take advantage of this promotion, use the coupon code “GROSS” (GoDaddy’s Really Offensive Superbowl Sale) at checkout.

The staff at Hands-on Web Hosting will also transfer (migrate) user’s website files to the new location at no additional cost. Visit them at http://www.handsonwebhosting.com

About Hands-on Web Hosting:
Hands-on Web Hosting was founded over ten years ago to meet the needs of businesses seeking a web hosting partner capable of providing state-of-the-art cost effective hosting solutions. Today, Hands-on Web Hosting is a leading web hosting provider of PCI compliant shared, VPS, dedicated and cloud hosting solutions, providing service to thousands of websites with a strong focus on X-Cart eCommerce software and similar online merchant store software. Hands-on Web Hosting is dedicated to ensuring that members receive affordable and reliable services with excellent customer support.

Posted: http://www.handsonwebhosting.com/2013/02/offensive-superbowl-ad-sends-users-scrambling/

I would like to see the evidence for the claims of OP

What is truly offensive is that people find it offensive that a sexy and pretty woman can kiss someone not so pretty and sexy. If the guy was Brad Pitt there would be no controversy

A good chunk of people found the commercial gross. I am not part of that group (I thought the ad was genius), but I know that people will have different opinions.

With regards to finding proof that people found it offensive or gross, just search google, or look at the responses on the various youtube videos - or at user submitted videos.

We've had dozens of people contact us regarding this and while the majority of people who have contacted us are women, that's a big chunk of a demographic to alienate.

We've seen a big jump in domain transfers from GoDaddy as a result

I think it's great that Hands On Hosting is offering a deal to GoDaddy customers that want to leave the company, however I think those customers are being a bit... overly sensitive. I saw the commercial myself and while it wasn't my favorite Superbowl commercial (by a long shot) I don't think it was bad enough to merit the reaction that it has.

In many cases it's the women versus men perspective on things. If you take a poll from guys, many will say it wasn't an issue - heck, a number of people I've talked to have said "i wish it was me" - but at the same time, the number of women that I've talked to on it so far have been disgusted by it. Another group that I've talked to and commented with have expressed how awkward it was with kids in the room watching the TV.

Do a search on Twitter for #notbuyingit and you'll see a ton of responses for any number of products.

I still completely and utterly dislike GoDaddy myself and we watched the game. I am a Ravens fan (my hometown) and my husband was rooting for the 49's (he is from the west coast). We both watched the commercial and thought it was great. People will always talk (bad publicity) and people will remember it, that is what counts.

Partick? Maybe they are thinking she is better suited somewhere that she can not cause a scene. :D

I think it's great that Hands On Hosting is offering a deal to GoDaddy customers that want to leave the company, however I think those customers are being a bit... overly sensitive. I saw the commercial myself and while it wasn't my favorite Superbowl commercial (by a long shot) I don't think it was bad enough to merit the reaction that it has.

There seems to be a tendency for many to jump on an anti-godaddy bandwagon wherever it may appear. Or someone will create one where there is none.