Opinion needed on Dedicated Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

choodiwala

Would it be a good idea for me sign up for this dedicated server?

PII-400
128 MB RAM
20 GB Harddrive
Windows 2000 Server
100 GB Transfer
2 ip address
$50/month

and if i want they will also install a control panel to host 10 websites.

Thanks

Last edited:
choodiwala said:
Depends on what you need to do and if you need dedicated server at all. What are your plans?

Best,

Choodiwala, as Artashes says, it really depends on what you want the server for, what you plan to run on it, and your budget.

Could you tell us:
What bandwidth does the server come with? (Level(3), UUNet, Aleron, etc.)
Will they allow you to upgrade the server specs if needed?

To be honest, a Pentium 2 with 400mhz and those specs, I'd really not touch unless I was trying to learn linux or something that didn't require lots of use. If the bandwidth was a multi-home of UUNet and Level(3), then I'd say yes since that price with any system and that bandwidth is brilliant. UUNet and Level(3) are some of the best bandwidth available, so for that price with that bandwidth, then yes.

However, if you could really tell us what you wanted to use the server for, we should be able to give you a much better answer. :)

Artashes and Anjay

Thank you for replying.

I will be using the server to test out new websites i design. Some of my customers are asking me to host their website as well.

The bandwidth carriers are: Level(3), Aleron, Verio, and Global Crossing.

They told me that i can add more RAM and HDD and price depends on what i want.

Thanks again!

I wouldn't host anything that isn't testing site / personal web pages..

This is for the simple fact Win2k will be dog slow on a p2 400MHz :(
That CPU do a lot better as a Linux test box, be 3 times faster than win 2k...

<< The bandwidth carriers are: Level(3), Aleron, Verio, and Global Crossing. >>

Very nice bandwidth providers. :)
$50 for 100gb with that type of bandwidth, very nice. I've some quotes from Level(3) - they're very high amounts of bandwidth I asked for yet the price is still sky rocketing! So especially if it is multihomed on those providers, pretty good price for bandwidth.

<< I will be using the server to test out new websites i design. Some of my customers are asking me to host their website as well. >>

Like Esr Tek said, don't use it for anything else other than testing website and personal. If your clients want you to host them, maybe get a reseller account somewhere on a linux box with dual xeon processor and lots of ram or even with windows rather than linux if they really want it. However, a Pentium II, well.... it's not that good for hosting live active sites on. But for testing, it's fine.

Mind telling us which company is offering this?

To be honest I would save up some extra money and spring for something around $80-$90 per month. Even if you go with a low end Celeron server you will be getting a lot more power and reliability. If you are going to be hosting customers websites I would highly recommend this or you very well maybe in for some headaches down the road.

choodiwala said:

PII-400
128 MB RAM
20 GB Harddrive
Windows 2000 Server
100 GB Transfer
2 ip address
$50/month

and if i want they will also install a control panel to host 10 websites.

Thanks

too expensive.. there are many good providers around offering much better specifications

no - that server is way to outdated - you can get a lot better deal. also - get at least 256 - 512 ram on it.

Get your dedicated server at www.servfast.net

MOD NOTE: Post removed. Participants may not post or otherwise transmit promotional materials, or any other form of solicitation, except in those forum sections where advertising is expressly permitted. Please reread the rules http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/rules.php

Note that the advertising forums have their own subset of rules.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:
sailor said:
no - that server is way to outdated - you can get a lot better deal. also - get at least 256 - 512 ram on it.

I second that. For about $10-$15 extra per month you can get a full control panel and a Celeron minimum (or AMD Athlon/Sempron). That server is outdated regardless of what you use it for (I highly doubt it will handle reasonable traffic if that is what your purpose is too).

Status
Not open for further replies.