Page Rank 0?

kashirakaze

I had a site with a Page Rank of 3 when suddenly it went down to 0. I didn't get any notice of a warning or penalty so why would this have happened? Does anybody have any explanations?

You may have to look back with a critical eye on your SEO efforts, and see which ones may be overdone. Or maybe it's the other way around, and you lost a main source of link popularity juice.

Personally, ever since I had the same thing happen to me (and still retained most of the high search engine rankings, I don't pay too much attention to PageRank). It only hurts when you're trying to exchange links, but I don't actively do that either for quite some time now.

You should check if the IP on which your website has been blacklisted by the SE. If you are hosted on a shared server, there is a single IP that is shared by all the accounts hosted on the physical server. If any of the account/s are involved in spamming, other websites too have to pay the price. It is always suggested to have a dedicated IP assigned to a domain to avoid such situations. You must try to add fresh content to the website, and after a week of two check if the content is getting indexed in the SERP.
Though this is just a possibility. There might be multiple reasons for such a change. One of those is as mentioned by ldcdc. You must get your website reviewed from an SEO expert.

You should check if the IP on which your website has been blacklisted by the SE. If you are hosted on a shared server, there is a single IP that is shared by all the accounts hosted on the physical server. If any of the account/s are involved in spamming, other websites too have to pay the price. It is always suggested to have a dedicated IP assigned to a domain to avoid such situations. You must try to add fresh content to the website, and after a week of two check if the content is getting indexed in the SERP.
Though this is just a possibility. There might be multiple reasons for such a change. One of those is as mentioned by ldcdc. You must get your website reviewed from an SEO expert.

Well said. It is a must to get a dedicated IP for your domain so you do not pay the price of others.

Not always true. See this from HostGator support

Can I get a dedicated IP to avoid server blacklisting?
With shared and reseller hosting, there are other people using your mail server. This means that one spammer can get everyone on that IP address blocked by a blacklist.

A dedicated ip does not help with emails being blacklisted. Email always uses the shared ip, even if you buy a dedicated ip. The only way to get a dedicated ip for emails is to buy a Dedicated Server.

Well quoted Steve-Hostirian.Thats right, incase someone indulge into spamming sending out spam E-mails the would surely get blacklisted, but it has nothing to do with the search engines blacklisting the IP.
Here in kashirakaze's case the situation is regarding the SE ranking issue.

I hate to say it but that hostgator response is wrong. You can create a mail service for a specific customer and bind it to their static ip. But, I have a static ip for my site and i have been PR 3 then 0 then 3 then 0 again so im about to contact google and see what the issue is. Beware of link farms as that can get your site blacklisted in regards to PR and I think that is what happened with mine.

OUCH!

Trace back all recent changes in your site, if you think nothing will affect your pagerank then check you links. above explanation and comments will help you.

good luck!

also try copyscare to check is there some duplicate content website.
anyway page rank is past..trust rank is future:)

As stated by bobchrist, due to the latest updates in the algorithm, many websites have paid the price of low ranking. actually there can be varied reasons for the change your site has incured. It would be tough to judge the probable reason for the damage.

But as far as I assume this might be because of some unlawful practice carried out through the server that might have done the damage.

I hate to say it but that hostgator response is wrong. You can create a mail service for a specific customer and bind it to their static ip. But, I have a static ip for my site and i have been PR 3 then 0 then 3 then 0 again so im about to contact google and see what the issue is. Beware of link farms as that can get your site blacklisted in regards to PR and I think that is what happened with mine.
I don't think the Hostgator response is necessarily wrong, as that is stated as their policy.
Link farms can create problems with Page Rank, but that doesn't affect SERPs directly, as LDCDC pointed out with his website.

I had a site with a Page Rank of 3 when suddenly it went down to 0. I didn't get any notice of a warning or penalty so why would this have happened? Does anybody have any explanations?

The same happened to my tech site. I believe this happens when our backlinks suddenly fall. I saw that there was sudden reduction of backlinks. This could be because other websites hosting your link might have closed down or removed your link. Achieving a good PR is easy, but maintaining it is tough.

Hostgator saying that the mail runs on a single IP is correct for almost all shared hosting providers. You CAN set dedicated IP accounts to use their own dedicated IP number for sending mail, but MOST HOSTS do not do this. They use the main IP on the server.

And with regards to Pagerank 0 or 3 and what is the difference - it can mean quite a bit! You need to read this article: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/06/05/google-pagerank-what-do-we-really-know-about-it/

Here's a capture of one of the more important lines:

"Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to user’s search. Google examines all aspects of the page’s content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it’s a good match for user’s queries.”

So relevancy is the key - it can affect the display of content in the google search!

Just continue building back links. Back links is one of the important factors in calculating your PR value. In order to generate huge amount of back links, participate on the following techniques:

- article submissions
- blog commenting
- classified ads
- directory submissions
- forum posting
- link exchange
- press release
- online groups
- social bookmarking

Just make sure to get back links on relevant and DoFollow sites. Google gives more value on these kinds of back links.

PageRank can increase or decrease. You must of have lost some incoming links. The thing id PageRank doesn't get update daily. May be twice a week. it depends. between this time you must of have lost some incoming links. Well, you will have to start a new link building campaign... :(