Please Review: Surmounted.NET

Surmounted.NET

Hey everyone,

Seeking reviews on the [url="http://www.surmounted.net]Surmounted.NET[/url] website design.

We're currently working on a new site, but that is still a big work in progress. I'm curious what visitors think of our current design.

I'm a fan of clean and simple, but I'm not sure if that is achieved with this design. May be too bland? Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Im also a fan of clean and simple web designs, I like the look of it.

Not too many colors and its clean and everything is easy to read and notice. I rate this a 9/10

To me I would totally disagree with the above comments, namely because the site is too simple.. this is due to a number of reasons, examples of which are:

• Monotone | Why gray and black? throw in some white or a gradient add in package colours (blue, greens, yellows, oranges, reds) try and separate the packages with their own unique look perhaps? (see example)
  • Layout/Separation | Notice how most sites use standardised layouts "something of importance big centre to grab attention" supporting details following and various navigation methods. This also goes as far as containers separating different parts of your content to draw attention both to and away from parts of the content in favour of others. (see example)
  • Packages | What is cPanel?, what is your 24/7 Support? what is fantastico? what does it give me? I can't see an obvious "more info" and clicking the package items throws me directly to purchasing, where is the additional information in-between?, I still don't have answers to the above questions at this point and as said I'm thrown directly to a shopping cart?
  • Coming Soon | Why? Coming soon is one of the worst web design practices ever to grace the internet and is the bane of many a users frustration. In short if you aren't able to offer the full product information and product, don't list it.... leave product announcements ts or hints within latest news or similar blog postings.
  • Too Much text! | Looking at your webhosting page why use large portions of text to detail what can be shown in a simple graphical table which is easy on the eye and for comparison as well as being standard within the industry, then using any java tool tips as necessary to show additional information on items that aren't obvious or raise questions on a normal basis.
  • SSL | I had noticed there is no SSL on your clientarea, at around £15/year its a very low expense for what is an both a standard expectation as well as an essential part of what should be a detailed security measures .
Possible Example layout as referenced above (layouts/colour): http://osc.template-help.com/joomla_25209/

That all said, what I have said is a cut dry iteration of what a lot of clients will decipher subconsciously, as most of these suggestions are what they would expect to see... the purpose really is to show both a customer's perspective as well as that of a professional web developer as per the examples.

Hope that helps, and I'm more than happy to expand or discuss any of the examples :)

Last edited:
To me I would totally disagree with the above comments, namely because the site is too simple.. this is due to a number of reasons, examples of which are:

• Monotone | Why gray and black? throw in some white or a gradient add in package colours (blue, greens, yellows, oranges, reds) try and separate the packages with their own unique look perhaps? (see example)
  • Layout/Separation | Notice how most sites use standardised layouts "something of importance big centre to grab attention" supporting details following and various navigation methods. This also goes as far as containers separating different parts of your content to draw attention both to and away from parts of the content in favour of others. (see example)
  • Packages | What is cPanel?, what is your 24/7 Support? what is fantastico? what does it give me? I can't see an obvious "more info" and clicking the package items throws me directly to purchasing, where is the additional information in-between?, I still don't have answers to the above questions at this point and as said I'm thrown directly to a shopping cart?
  • Coming Soon | Why? Coming soon is one of the worst web design practices ever to grace the internet and is the bane of many a users frustration. In short if you aren't able to offer the full product information and product, don't list it.... leave product announcements ts or hints within latest news or similar blog postings.
  • Too Much text! | Looking at your webhosting page why use large portions of text to detail what can be shown in a simple graphical table which is easy on the eye and for comparison as well as being standard within the industry, then using any java tool tips as necessary to show additional information on items that aren't obvious or raise questions on a normal basis.
  • SSL | I had noticed there is no SSL on your clientarea, at around £15/year its a very low expense for what is an both a standard expectation as well as an essential part of what should be a detailed security measures .
Possible Example layout as referenced above (layouts/colour): http://osc.template-help.com/joomla_25209/

That all said, what I have said is a cut dry iteration of what a lot of clients will decipher subconsciously, as most of these suggestions are what they would expect to see... the purpose really is to show both a customer's perspective as well as that of a professional web developer as per the examples.

Hope that helps, and I'm more than happy to expand or discuss any of the examples :)

Great input, very much appreciated.

All things considered! Regarding the SSL, its something i've been aware of has always been on the top of my to-do list, so this coming week its being taken care of. I ran a trial from Thawte for two weeks, although the parent provider of our hosting services have listed SSL Certs on their site which will be available (anytime, now) and I was going to take them up on that offer.

Anyhow, I may do a few things here and there to spruce up the current design and take into consideration the points you've made, but I am working on a totally new design as well which should prove to be accepeted by more people ;)

http://surmounted.net/v2/ is undergoing a lot of work, its a purchased template so I am trying to adapt it for web hosting use. Still a ton of work that needs to be done!

Your link did not work, but I found your site anyway. :D
Why are the prices and order buttons offset for the BusinessBasic and Business+ accounts?
And I'm going to have to agree with csn-uk in that if you don't have a page completed or a product ready to go, don't use an entire page to say that. It's already mentioned in your blog.
Good luck with your new design :D

Great input, very much appreciated.

http://surmounted.net/v2/ is undergoing a lot of work, its a purchased template so I am trying to adapt it for web hosting use. Still a ton of work that needs to be done!

I've just taken a look at your V2 link and I'd certainly go as far as to say that it will despite being a stock template be a much better fit, with a little customisation as said it should turn out nicely and will become a unique look for your compan. Especially with the right images and intergrations.

Good Luck with the future development :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting