Quality over specs

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
Prospects want to know that the hosting services that they’ll be paying for will match their requirements. In a way, this comes down to the quality of a solution versus simply matching specifications.

How does the perception of a hosting provider's services impact their sales and conversions? And what are the ways we can improve as an industry?

Hosting companies listing how much RAM a server has doesn't mean much to me as a consumer, however noting that the server uses SSD drives does make a difference.

As a consumer, I want to know if the hosting account can handle the traffic, how will the speed be impacted, and how much I can put on it. As a power user, I do want to know the number of inodes and the percentage of the CPU I have access to, and if it's a fixed amount, a rolling 5 minute average or if it's calculated on a 30 day average.

The hosting companies that I've liked in recent times are ones that take the time to make a video or animated GIF showing resources and how it's impacted. Providing PING and TRACE information upfront can be helpful. Certainly disclosing any CDN or additional features such as the processing of webP images or automated resizing can be helpful.

The hosts I generally use are the ones that discus what happens when there's an outage or a problem. How are we to contact them. Is the information about past downtimes public or do they hide that. Having disaster recovery plans in place etc is much more useful to me than someone saying I have access to unlimited emails and forwarders etc.

Some places have posted information regarding ticket response times (more important are ticket ratings and time between open and close), and while it can be useful, it's easy to manipulate.