Questions About Live-Streaming Software/Solutions

Mulsiphix

I want to stream live events from my home webcam to my website and to stream videos on a couple hundred different websites I will be running. I am specifically interested in tying in social media and interactive features into the videos while they stream. I plan on using Wowza for the actual streaming and Kaltura CE for customization of the video player, e-commerce (Cent2Cent), and managing all of my media (images and videos).

While looking at Kaltura CE I came across the AttractTV vidget (see this vidget in action). This widget allows you to add an overlay to your videos that introduced the following features:
  • Announcements
  • Social Chat
  • Polls
  • Ticker
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS\News feeds
  • Pictures-in-Picture
Unfortunately this is not a free vidget and the service that offers it is currently rather selective with who they allow to use it :bawling:.

Questions
1. So my problem now is figuring out a way to add that functionality to my videos without using the AttractTV vidget.Are there better solutions out there other than Kaltura CE that could make adding all of these features possible?

2. Joomla has a large community of developers that sell their programming services. From what I can tell Kaltura CE has no such community. Is there other software like Kaltura CE that has such a community of easily accessible developers for hire? I know I can hire a programmer in general but I find those with a community usually have competitive pricing.

3. I have a question about streaming in general. To stream a live event from my webcam I need a few things (assuming I am not using a free service like Ustream or Livestream). From what I have gathered from various forums I believe I have everything covered but I just wanted to double-check with you guys. Is this list complete or possibly include redundant entries?

Items Needed
  • Dedicated Server (with sufficient hardware and bandwidth)
  • Streaming Publisher (like Wowza)
  • Content Distribution Network (like SwiftWay)
  • Media Management System (like Kaltura CE)
Any help would be most appreciated. I'm very new to this but I am willing to learn and have grave motivation to get this done properly, ASAP. Thank you for your time! :D

Note: I am streaming adult based content which limits me from using certain services like the commercial version of Kaltura and its streaming service.

Hello,

Another thing you can do is this:

1. Get a Dedicated or VPS Server (check if they're ok using it as a streaming server).

2. Setup there a media encoder.

3. From your House or any location have a laptop/desktop setup with webcam. Install Windows Expressions Engine to push your streaming to your streaming server (which is your Dedicated or VPS server).

4. Then once you have it streaming, you can embed it to your website.

That is one way.

If you don't want to go to the hassle of setting things up, you can get paid service like http://www.influxis.com/

Once you have set it up, just embed it to your website.

Thanks!