Rapid Leech Scripts

RayH

Is there a way to block rapid leech scripts effectively.. My company has tried pretty much everything... blocking ports, turning fopen_urls off and changing the PGP cache limit. We have also tried banning many of the servers IPS for rapid share / mega uploader, but they keep coming back.

I was wondering if any knew of a daemon that would scan for specfic keywords on a webserver and could send them back for a review to the webhost..

A common technique you can follow is to block any sort of outgoing requests from your server. As it is a shared hosting, it is very reasonable to do this. If some clients wants to remotely communicate with some specific IP/website, he can ask you to whitelist the IP in your firewall rules. The only problem you will face is to implement this with your own iptables rule.

Enable cPanel Hotlink security. Or use a crontab that create a symlink each time the file is requested. Then clear that file off after a predetermined time limit, few hours.

Have you tried using .htaccess? There are ways using .htaccess. to redirect requests from remote domains to a "dummy file". It's not foolproof, but it's another option.

We've been using cPanel's anti-leech software however found it only to pick up scripts about 70% of the time.

For VPS hosting you can pretty much work it our based on the bandwidth usage. If a customer gets through ~100GB of bandwidth in a day, its pretty clear whats going on.

high bandwidth usage
high cpu usage

Mostly those two because it bogs down the server for the rest of the clients. I've had cases where it would take me almost 30 minutes to login to one server via SSH to shut down Apache just so I could remove the load so I could find the little bugger.

I using Cloud Server for Public Rapidleech. :)

The most important to start a site rapidleech is T&C and Legal. Rapidshare so many illegal movie but nothing happen. Why? T&C and Legal.

RayH, did you try mod_Security rules ? You may be able to block certain script names used exclusively by RapidLeech along with URLs of certain file sharing hosts used in POST method