Raspberry Pi

paradiseweb

Was not sure to post here or General, but anyone here used this fantastic little guy as a web server? I am having my web mastering class set this up as a LAMP server, and they are having a blast. Figuring out firewalls, AD and how to get Linux to work with it, FQDN, and how to install Wordpress on it. Really quite interesting to see that it is actually meeting their goals (the Raspberry Pi team). Only problem I have is same as many, WP freezes up at random and requires complete reboot :crash: Anyone play around with one of these fantastic little comps?

Our experience with it was that PHP was pretty slow. Granted we had PHP 5.4, MySQL 5.5, Apache 2 all running on Debian Wheezy on a fast Samsung SD card on a single Pi.

To improve the speed of PHP we installed php-apc, which provided a substantial performance increase but page loads were still not as fast as a modern web server. I think it would run better on lighttpd, but never had a chance to test it.

When pages were being served, CPU load was pretty much maxed out on the Pi. The newer ones they are shipping have 512MB RAM, and that was more than enough, the bottleneck was definitely the CPU.

I'm sure there's a lot more that they can do to optimize the software for ARM, so I'd expect increased performance over time.

If serving static HTML pages, it's probably really fast.

I imagine it would probably run Wordpress pretty well if you're doing caching with something like the w3tc plugin.

Did not think about caching too much. Got students into my server room/closet at the school today and hooked up the pi to our firewall. They created the DMZ and forwarding, so hopefully they can get it up and going Monday.

I've seen these and a few of my staff member's have them. I just cannot justify using it for anything, that and the network port is only 100Mbps.

Using a PI requires you, the administrator to really optimize the system.

If there is no really need for Apache, you could try to use nginx or lighthttpd.

I can really recommend a script named MINSTALL (not made by me) which removes all not needed services/packages.
Then it helps you to install needed services to run a webserver. It does require debian or ubuntu to work.

You can download MINSTALL from here:https://github.com/KnightSwarm/Minstall

<URL snipped>

Wheezy (the OS on it right now), comes with very little extra services or packages. Guys/gals I know it is not for businesses, it is for schools. That is who is using it, my students. Apparently I post wrong place (I have a hosting reseller and do web design on the side, that is why I am a member here). Geez... :)

The Raspberry PI is what got me interested in the ARM platform. The PandaBoard ES from Texas Instruments works extremely well for video with the right OS, namely Ubuntu.

I haven't yet but the company I work for has documentation on how to set up our products on it and it is actually kind of cool I was really tempted to buy one a few days ago :)

Yes its usable for 1-4 websites but not more than that unless you upgrade it to a nice amount of ram, but the cpu is whats stopping it.

Was not sure to post here or General, but anyone here used this fantastic little guy as a web server? I am having my web mastering class set this up as a LAMP server, and they are having a blast. Figuring out firewalls, AD and how to get Linux to work with it, FQDN, and how to install Wordpress on it. Really quite interesting to see that it is actually meeting their goals (the Raspberry Pi team). Only problem I have is same as many, WP freezes up at random and requires complete reboot :crash: Anyone play around with one of these fantastic little comps?
That, is, AWESOME! I know a few people who have Pi's and love them. One guy has the camera adapter and he wrote his own program to capture pics and so on. I know one guy who also had it set up as a PBX just for kicks. The inventor truly achieved his goal of getting people programming and experimenting again. I, myself am yet to get a Pi, but I probably will do soon.