Registering domain names with Google

Grabahost

Do any of you have domain names registered with Google? Google offers a competitive price and you can get your domain registered under private registration for free. Sounds like a great deal, right?

$10/year through Google, but be aware that this is not Google registering the domain name for you. They are using a 3rd party reseller. Also, the registration of the domains appear to be tied to the Google Apps end of things somehow. I've not been able to find a link on google's site that is strictly for domain name registration.

I have found repeated statements that having your domain registered through Google's partners will not boost your domain in the rankings.

I treat the expansion of Google's domain name registration pretty much the same way I treat their expansion into Web Hosting.

Yes, you are right about Google using another registrar to get your domains registered with. Before they used Enom, then moved to Go Daddy. I don't know what is so good about Go Daddy compared to Enom.

Yes, you are right about Google using another registrar to get your domains registered with. Before they used Enom, then moved to Go Daddy. I don't know what is so good about Go Daddy compared to Enom.

Well maybe the price :) who knows.

Do any of you have domain names registered with Google? Google offers a competitive price and you can get your domain registered under private registration for free. Sounds like a great deal, right?
No, we don't have any domains registered with Google, and won't in the foreseeable future. Never say never though. :)

Don't have any plans of registering any future domains with Google. I'll go for Namecheap or any other domain registrar.

I don't have any domains registered with Google yet, but it sounds like it is worth to consider. I think they offer a competitive price. Though, the fact that they use Go Daddy is a bit turn off for me.

domain registrations

for .uk domains we use 123-reg and others we use namecheap although for clients we have a resellerclub account linked to WHMCS

I think they offer a competitive price.
They're just taking a comission and passing you over to someone else - no different to the 31,897,214 other domain name affiliates and resellers out there.

My advice would be to always deal directly with a registrar accredited for the type of domain you're looking to register

They're just taking a comission and passing you over to someone else - no different to the 31,897,214 other domain name affiliates and resellers out there.

My advice would be to always deal directly with a registrar accredited for the type of domain you're looking to register

Well, I agree with you about this. I also wonder why an online company as big as Google chose to be a domain affiliate or reseller (or whatever) instead of running their own domain registrar. I think Google has enough resources to start a domain registration company.

Well, I agree with you about this. I also wonder why an online company as big as Google chose to be a domain affiliate or reseller (or whatever) instead of running their own domain registrar. I think Google has enough resources to start a domain registration company.

maybe they are doing this to test the market to see if they have a market to spend the fees with Nominet and ICANN and a developer to design them another website, although this would not dent their profits

maybe they are doing this to test the market to see if they have a market to spend the fees with Nominet and ICANN and a developer to design them another website, although this would not dent their profits

They're already involved with ICANN (but not accredited with the registries to actually do any domains yet AFAICR) as they want to be able to "Mine" the data for their advert taregtting