Reselling Domains 101

nocturnalhostin

Well, my 2 cents anyways.

Ok, there are a large number of providers that offer domain reseller packages - and there is almost no way for you to find lower prices than some of the larger discount providers...so why do it?

It is more of a value added service to your customers, and additional incentive to get them to host with you - the ability of your business or company to provide a solution to all of their hosting needs.

That said - what are some of your current options?

(leaving out well known ones like godaddy)

WildWestDomains.COM ($100/yr, they do all the work (including merchant account and billing) - give you a templated store front that is slightly customizable and have an EXCELLENT web based system for managing domains).

Aplus.net --- $150 setup fee not really worth it for the service provided

OnlineNIC --- really only useful for those using Modren Bill

Enom --- too expensive

directi --- best overall - free signup, decent prices, decent interface
---- even a cool little desktop app that sits on the customer's
---- pc with a custimizable logo.

Of course, you'll want to look for specific features that meet your personal needs....but hope this helps clarify some things for people that have been asking about this topic.

Again - I just hope everyone understands that you will most likely NOT make money doing domain reselling - which is why I recomend directi...its more of a nice feature to offer rather than this huge profitable business opportunity. (Of course I'm sure Network Solutions will disagree - but we can't all get away with finding people dumb enough to pay $35/yr for a domain name, can we?).
:)

Our hosting company uses it as a value added service. Some customers prefer to deal with one company for their web hosting. So, we resell the domain registration at a modest discount (half the price of Network Solutions). However, we do not compete on price with other discount domain agents. Competing on price is a no win scenario in web hosting and domain registration.