Hosted URL(s): www.hbpuppy.com
www.angelawatts.com
www.virus692.com
www.mainelycoupons.com
www.sailboatfuel.com
www.pumpkinpail.com
Description of service(s) used: Web Master Silver plan
How long have you been using the service(s): since 08/21/2008
Detailed review: I found this host through this forum and did some research as to other online reviews. After several months I found nothing out of the ordinary and used one of their constant discount codes to sign up for a package at a great discount. I taught myself what I thought I needed to know about Cpanel, Fantastico and other related software to host my websites there.

Everything went pretty good until this holiday season where the sites started going down for a day here a couple days there then a week. After the first drop I got a reply to my e-mail that they were experiencing server issues and everyone would be compensated. During the week I heard nothing until one day it was just up and several e-mails from the host were in my inbox detailing how they had tried to sell the hosting service and it had fallen through and they had taken back the service and would be upgrading servers, etc. I thought I was back on safe ground and went about as planned.

I received the e-mail about the server change and not updating my site during that period. However after the move I suddenly had only one choice for a webmail program where there had previously been three. The remaining choice is not one I fancy so I opened a support ticket. After some back and forth that got nowhere I was asked for my account password to see what I was seeing and then told, once again, that there were still choices there. A screencapture did nothing to dissuade them from this idea. In fact when I uploaded the screencapture to their support ticket I was asked to host it as they could not view it when uploaded?!?

At the same time I began to have issues with regards to upgrading my version of WP through the WP admin panel as opposed to Fantastico or manually. After hours of research it was evident this was a server issue with how the files as assigned ownership and I put in another ticket. During that time my plugin and theme files disappeared from my WP admin panel although they were clearly still in my Cpanel file manager with all parts present. I could not upgrade my plugins either. After researching and trying to change my file permissions I managed to turn my website to a blank white page. Or we'll assume it was just from me changing permissions and not something the host changed on me instead.

Pros: Always discount codes, cheap prices, been around for awhile, works great when it works
Cons: company may be sold without warning, server upgrades/changes may cause unwarranted issues, poor support
Would you recommend this company to your best friend? No (she's not capable of the amount of knowledge if there is an issue without good support).

I had my husband proof it for me. His only response was "wow thats a long review" but it said "detailed" :)

The beginning was upbeat. Too bad it didn't finish in the same way. Nicely written though. :)

Thank you for a terrific review. I wish all reviewers were that throughout as you. :)
Too bad the experience was spoiled.

I haven't given up on this internet thing yet. ;)

After 5 hours Monday I finally managed to get my site back up. I shudder to think whats hanging out people can hack into though with the permission settings.

I need to find me a real job so I can afford some really decent hosting.

All you really need is enough for a year. That way you know you have hosting for one year and can focus on saving up some cash for other stuff :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1hosting