Seagate or WD

chinahost

All the while we had been using Seagate until recently there was a few bad seagate disk and we are think of switching to using WD. In fact WD is also cost less.

What are your experiences with WD?

Also I noticed that WD has the RE3 and the RE2-GP which is energy saving.
Which would you use?

I have seen both the disk failing regularly and it depends on how the IO on each server is . We used to have smart and raid 1 hence used to have sufficient time for replacing the dead drives.

I've used Western Digital for years and really can't complain. I still use Seagate when it comes to SCSI drives that have high spin times etc, but I've been quite comfortable with Western Digital for many years.

I like the WD's for sata and Segate for SCSI systems. I've seen both fail tho. I think it is luck of the draw and any drive can fail eventually.

WD seems to have a better RMA policy, but Seagate a better warranty. Kind of like asking if you prefer Ford or Chevrolet. Both manufacturers are first rate, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

I use WD Raptors on my home PC and they are top quality:thumbup:. Never tried a Seagate, though.

With some of the problems Seagate has had with firmware I would guess most would tend to choose WD although we've never had any problems with the enterprise class of drives. *knocks on wood*

WD Raptors are some of the best drives on the market imo. That being said, Seagate makes decent drives as well. If I had to choose though....WD.

IMO, you cannot go wrong with either one. Just stay away from the bargain-basement variety. For instance, Seagate has 2 "classes" of drives. The ones that are significantly less expensive have, in my experience, been much more prone to failure. Caveat emptor!

All of the harddrives (internal or external) are of a Western Digital name. I have yet to hear anything bad about their harddrive products. I wouldn't buy a harddrive unless it was Western Digital.

I don't know what their respective failure rates are, but I used to RMA an equal number of each. When faced with purchasing a quantity of eighteen hundred drives, for those of you favoring WD, if you were able to save significant dollars on comparable Seagate drives, would you buy Seagate? What about other brand names?

Both of the manufactures are good. Good performance and reliability. But this is hardware and can fail in any time... even some small manufactures can be impressive, for example I was using Hitachi on my old PC and it was really good too.. so I think it depends on supply :)