Server Backups

dr_dats

Hello all,

For those of you offering shared hosting, how do you guys back up your shared hosting servers? I'm currently using rsync to backup the /etc /home and /var directories, however I dont think the MySQL database is being back up.

How do you guys backup you customers MySQL Databases?

We doing backups regularly and uploading them to another country server, so all our servers are backup'ed locally and older versions of backuo are going to another country.
Customers data and sql :)

r1soft is the only way to go. We've been using it here for 3 years without any problem.

If you're rsyncing the /var directories, and you've not changed the default path of mysql (/var/lib/mysql), then the databases ARE backing up.

Personally, I recommend getting an external server and using r1soft's CDP software - you can set it to backup every hour (like we do) or more frequently if you wanted. Your users will appreciate it too as they'll be able to log in and restore the files themselves without having to bother support. MySQL Tables they still need to contact admins to get that done, but regular files in the site they can restore an individual file or folder all on their own.

Have questions about the CDP or need a machine to do that with - drop me a Private Email, we have hundreds of licensed machines running the software.

Try the webmin control panel with their inboard backup system, you can backup everything you need in a breeze! Plus, it's open source!

HI,

Check where your databases are, usually they are in /var/lib/mysql and if you are backing up /var and all it's subdirectories, it is included in your backup. Check your current backup and check the subdirectories inside /var.

Regards,
Bobby

R1SOFT is the way forward, highly recommend using their CDP software.

Loads of companies will offer it as a service, supplying the remote server space if required.

If your using a control panel such as cPanel and DirectAdmin I believe they both offer full backups of accounts including MySQL databases.

cPanel includes its own backup solution, where the accounts are backed up to a disk or FTP..

The backup files include all of cPanel account setting, MySQL databases (SQL dump), emails, public_html directory.

I have set up that it is backup files are saved on a mounted NAS partition.

Hello all,

For those of you offering shared hosting, how do you guys back up your shared hosting servers? I'm currently using rsync to backup the /etc /home and /var directories, however I dont think the MySQL database is being back up.

We can backup mysql databases via control panel (or it can be done by command line/manually as well). I believe we can copy all content with rsync. :)

We use The built in Cpanel Automated Backup to backup to an FTP server. I has work fine for us so far and we haven't experienced any problems.

We take the Daily Incremental backup of website Data and Full SQL Databases and Config Backup of Control Panel which help us to fast restoration of server in case of disaster. It works great. :)

We are working with R1soft now - testing it out - it is not without issues - we tested a full bare bone restore - it didnt go well - lots of little issues with it -

However, the choice is limited - for cpanel users

There is an open source alternative as well:

www.bacula.org

We've used it time and time again with no problems. It takes a little more getting used to than r1, but for the price you can't beat it.

We have had success with R1SOFT too. It's been around for ages and is really well supported.

When you say it's been around for ages, you can say that literally. R1SOFT has NEVER gone down in my entire year of using it. It uses a very complex cluster I believe.

Highly recommended for any backup management needs.

The way R1Soft is deployed depends on the server provider. We use pools of backup servers with RAID. Failures are rare.

We use our Directadmin control panel for offserver backups to another dedicated server via ftp. We do a nightly backup.

Hello all,

As suggested by others R1soft is a best option now days. But if you don't want to pay for it and continue using rsync, then its best to use mysqldump to backup the databases and then rsync to your backup servers. You can write your own script or there are hundreds of nice mysql backup softwares available that you can use.