Server Hardware Specs.

Cultural-Virus

I've been browsing this forum for awhile (16 hours total, in two days) and being this is my first post, I don't want to get flamed to death for the question I'm about to post.

Okay *puts on flame resistant gear* I would like to host a server from home....

And I currently have a setup, I think would be good for web hosting, but I would like your (somewhat honest) opinion of my setup.

Here it goes:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor
RAM: 4G
HDD: 1 TB (soon to have 4TB)
Network card: 1 GB
:crash:
That should be about all the (important) hardware for my server.
Oh, also, it runs on Windows Server 2008, if that means anything.

Now, I am very new to the web hosting scene (well a bystander to it) and from what people have been saying, VPS is where it is at for a beginner web hoster, and I agree. ( I move alot)

Any way, Thank you.

Is this for hosting personal stuff? or will you actually be advertising and selling hosting services?

If you are doing this as a business, you have many things to consider, and you will easily realise it's better to colocate your gear or rent a dedicated server than host from home as the costs will be high.

What connection speed/type do you have at home?
What happens if your 1TB drive fails (Backups)
What if there is no power? (UPS/Generator)
Are you in a hot climate? (A/C running 24/7 in the summer).

When you add all of these factors up, they will cost much more than just colocating the server somewhere else. That is presuming you will even do all of the above.

If you choose to just host the server on a cable/dsl connection then don't even think about selling VPS's. You may get by with some static sites and small images... but even then, is it worth the hassle?

JMO

If it's for personal reasons, and no one is paying for the service then it's a completely different story and you will learn much more with less costs doing it from home.

Yeah, that was my intent, was creating a small business for web hosting. *sigh* I'm warming up to the idea of doing a VPS, since I move alot, and I have yet to move to my new location. (Come this October, I kiss South Korea, goodbye. :-D)

Okay, I shall beginning my research for:
A.) Designing a website
B.) Purchasing a Domain Name ( Which I have, cultural-virus.com)
C.) Purchase a Reseller Server
D.) ???

The only thing wrong with all of this is, web hosting would be my side job, so I won't be able to deal with constant e-mails about this and that. Should I just not do it?

The only thing wrong with all of this is, web hosting would be my side job, so I won't be able to deal with constant e-mails about this and that. Should I just not do it?

I can't say "don't do it", but I can say it wont be fast money maker. You have to know, that in any business, including web hosting, you'll have to put ALOT of time into it.

Even if you find your prices and services good, there will always be someone to beat you. You'll have to work hard, and I don't recommend this being a side job.

Even if theres alot of websites out there, people won't simply find on you and buy your services. Advertising and competition is hard.

Still, you can make it, but don't simply think you'll get rich in minutes.

Anyways, good luck!

you'll have to put ALOT of time into it.

Can't say it better than that!

You need to be prepared to put in the long hours at times in this business no matter what time it is...

@OP, you mention not having to bother putting in the time to support clients etc...

The reason most hosting companies offer "Reseller" plans is so that the reseller themeselves are responsible for the technical support!

If supporting clients in a timely effective manner was cheap and easy, there wouldn't be a "reseller" plan out there!

If you want to do this as a side business, all I can suggest is to maybe give out some free accounts to people who are experienced in providing support and know your platform (That you choose to go with).

This way you can exchange free hosting for them helping you answer support tickets etc...

Its better to have 95% effective answer quckly than it is to have a 125% answer in 24 hours... especially in this business.

And do not consider doing this from home... Just the computer parts alone will pay for your VPS and cPanel for a whole year. Focus on the business.

Why does everyone recommend using datacenter resources? Because stuff happens - power goes out, someone cuts your provider's fiber and you have no access, and on and on. Three years ago, I lost power to my home for one week. If I had been selling hosting services from my home, my entire client base would have disappeared.

Step 1: Get VPS
Step 2: ???????
Step 3: Profit!

In all seriousness, a home server is not practical if you value uptime. That's the long and short of it. VPS's are cheap - go for it.

PS: Where are you headed after S Korea?

Okay, I see what you mean by not hosting from home, and I NEVER thought of offering free hosting for someone else to do the support, Thank you for that little nugget, no joke.

Okay, I'm loving the ideas that is resonating from you guys (or gals?) So, I have this (not so bad server -hardware-) and I want to offer web hosting. I can't do it from home, and I don't have alot of time to run it all by myself (or know-how, -for now-). Would Colo be an option or should I do VPS?

I'm loving you guys right now, I'm soaking up everything you're saying!. :D

* Oh, also I'm leaving South Korea to go to Texas. :-D

Okay, I see what you mean by not hosting from home, and I NEVER thought of offering free hosting for someone else to do the support, Thank you for that little nugget, no joke.

Okay, I'm loving the ideas that is resonating from you guys (or gals?) So, I have this (not so bad server -hardware-) and I want to offer web hosting. I can't do it from home, and I don't have alot of time to run it all by myself (or know-how, -for now-). Would Colo be an option or should I do VPS?

I'm loving you guys right now, I'm soaking up everything you're saying!. :D

* Oh, also I'm leaving South Korea to go to Texas. :-D

If you have the server already you will get better performance than a VPS... but price point will be higher.

It all depends on where you want to start.

You can start with a VPS and as demand grows, colocate the server and migrate...

Why does everyone recommend using datacenter resources? Because stuff happens - power goes out, someone cuts your provider's fiber and you have no access, and on and on. Three years ago, I lost power to my home for one week. If I had been selling hosting services from my home, my entire client base would have disappeared.

Exactly. Providing services from a home is like selling Ferraris from a trailer.

Be aware that running a hosting business from a VPS might be problematic. I know a few customers who check before ordering. If its a reseller or vps, they wont bother. Not to say its impossible though, it can be done and done well if you execute to your plan and work hard.

You should do it. It would be a really good hands on experience with dealing with web hosting industry. I personally never done it but it seems really fun to do.

I would definately not suggest building a hosting business from your home due to the fact that there is not a lot of redundancy.

But if you are wanting to save on over head I would work out a solution to have a VPS server at a data center that has at minimum 4 9's (99.99%). This way you can use your home server to host and the VPS as a back up incase of emergency (CLOUD). This way if your home power goes out you can switch to your VPS server until services come back up.