Server monitoring

dysk

What tools are you all been using to monitor the status of your servers?

Outsourced or in-house?

Right now I'm using mrtg for the performance statistics, and nagios for downtime alerting. I'm re-evaluating how I do it, so I'd love to hear how other people know what their servers are doing.

I use FastServerManagement.com only 9.95 month and they send you weekly reports as well. Also if a server goes down they will take a few steps to get it up and running. Can't go wrong for that price

I use websitepulse.com for multiple projects, usually 10-minute checks with alerts to cell phone. You can run many reports too.

I like the tests where it searches for the presence (or lack thereof) of a keyword/phrase to test functionality of a page not just that it serves.

You can monitor just about any service too. For performance stats, I'd agree with using mrtg.

I suggest for everyone to get a TMOBILE SIDEKICK2 they have a SSH program for $10 one time fee that you can use on them and monitor the servers yourself. I know someone who uses it and is able to manage all of his servers directly from it.

That sounds very cool! However, I have to say my current opinion on T-Mobile's coverage and customer service is definitely spotty on both accounts. Wouldn't want to be left unable to get to the server or have dropouts. They should pay more for towers rather than celebrity endorsements, IMHO.

PlexiHosting said:
That sounds very cool! However, I have to say my current opinion on T-Mobile's coverage and customer service is definitely spotty on both accounts. Wouldn't want to be left unable to get to the server or have dropouts. They should pay more for towers rather than celebrity endorsements, IMHO.
If you are in Los Angeles it works perfectly!

TheReason said:
If you are in Los Angeles it works perfectly!
Yes, it works great in big cities like any of the major services. I'm disappointed with it when I stray from the "big city" - I think that the coverage is disappointing as there are valid business trips to places that don't have skyscrapers! Also vacationing is nice outside big cities lol

I love sitting at starbcuks but a one day pass is expensive 10 bucks lol oh well life goes on. The side kick does that work with HS's?