server & network monitoring tool?

Murioswh

which server / network monitoring tools do you guys suggest or using?

I am looking for one that provides accurate information and also should have option to display information for anonymous users.

PSM is not a monitoring tool, they're a management company.

You can use Nagios which is pretty much the industry standard when it comes to monitoring servers. Although why you would want to make that information available to the public I'm not sure. The less information you can display to a hacker, the better off you are. You can always PDF a section of the reports to provide a potential customer etc, but I'd not provide live data publicly with no checks.

Status2k is nice too, I've used that in the past.

PSM is not a monitoring tool, they're a management company.

You can use Nagios which is pretty much the industry standard when it comes to monitoring servers. Although why you would want to make that information available to the public I'm not sure. The less information you can display to a hacker, the better off you are. You can always PDF a section of the reports to provide a potential customer etc, but I'd not provide live data publicly with no checks.

Status2k is nice too, I've used that in the past.

we don't want to display complete information to user only the server uptime / network uptime. Rest is for our Audit.

If you look at the bottom of the page, They offer server monitoring and details to your email for $10 a month.

Thanks for pointing that out - very interesting. It used to be that you had to have the management through them in order for the monitoring.

I stand corrected!

we don't want to display complete information to user only the server uptime / network uptime. Rest is for our Audit.

I recommend the network overview rather than any individual server information. We have a number of servers here that are going on 800+ days without a reboot, and then we have servers that are going on 6+ hours since their last reboot (actually, new servers going online). The data can be really skewed when a user is looking at the information and people may get the impression that the machine was actually crashed and rebooted 6 hours ago.

I'd recommend putting up a network overview or something similar to this rather than showing any individual server uptime status information.

Also the uptime reports from www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime are pretty helpful too. You'd have to pay to have multiple servers monitored, but it's at least something available to the general public to view.

Nagios is extremly flexible and very advanced. My Nagios system checks uptime, latency, ssh availability, http/s availability, and sends me an email if there is a problem. I am running Nagios in multiple environments with over 500 hosts. I have never had an issue with it. You can also use Cacti to graph the statistics of uptime/ latency, disk usage ...

I run nagios with over 20 servers, it is advanced, and monitors everything, cpu, disk, I/O, HTTPD, FTP, the lot, pings, anything, it is the best I have seen.

Cacti is also good.

I don't know why people are using pingdom and such services, not ideal really to monitor your own network as a business, they also can give false reports.

I run nagios with over 20 servers, it is advanced, and monitors everything, cpu, disk, I/O, HTTPD, FTP, the lot, pings, anything, it is the best I have seen.

Cacti is also good.

I don't know why people are using pingdom and such services, not ideal really to monitor your own network as a business, they also can give false reports.

I agree, if you can't do it yourself, why bother? Nagios and Centreon are what I use, Centreon is just a web front end for nagios to give it steriods