Should reseller accounts have there own server?

Yes,

As there are likely to be a lot more accounts on a reseller's server then a shared. Why? Because the reseller's would most likely have many small plans on their account.

Absolutely! Those many plans increase the likelihood that somebody is going to have some script, etc that becomes resource-intensive so I'd think your shared customers shouldn't have to deal with this.

It all depends,

I have resellers on my shared server and they don't even make a peep on it. They have a few small accounts but they are just there own :)

depends on if you are overselling on your servers, server load etc. One good thing about having them on one machine is ease of management, one click you can see all of them and their acounts under them.

I don't find it a problem mixing the two. But if you have the resources, you'll probably want to seperate them because you never know what the resold accounts are going to upload.

Lemme throw out my two cents.

I'd say it's a good idea to place resellers on their own server. You owe the shared user the same quality of resources on the server. Resellers hog resources and, like others have said, you never know what they'll upload!

Hello,

We currently place reseller accounts and shared accounts on the same servers. We monitor each server and account intensively. If a certain account becomes a problem, we take steps to alleviate the issue. There have been very few problems while using the method for the past four years.

redz said:
this would prevent the resellers of the resellers accounts from overselling
allowing your resellers to oversell is a completly different topic - although it certainly would affect server positioning in this topic.

I have my shared and reseller users both on the same servers...I've never experienced any problems. It's all about how well you manage them. If they are well managed, and you shut down resource abusers, there generally isnt an issue.

Why? Surely highly active forums would need their own dedicated server in preference to 1000 static HTML pages on reseller accounts?

If you're worried about people making too many accounts limit how many people can have (+ charge for more/upgrade).

IMO It all depends on the reseller account, whether it is having more sub accounts & more traffic, if this is the case then they should have their own servers.

I think a reseller would only need to start thinking about a dedicated server when they reach around 70+ clients... maybe more if i'm being honest.

eleven said:
I think a reseller would only need to start thinking about a dedicated server when they reach around 70+ clients... maybe more if i'm being honest.

70+ on a reseller...i daint even know you can have so many clients on a reseller :p

I've seen resellers get up to 1400+ accounts in one WHM/CPanel reseller plan, on a server that had 30 resellers and a couple hundred other hosting accounts. Eveything was working fine though, since most of the accounts were small business-card like accounts (no databases, scripts, etc).

But I do think that reseller should be moved to a server of their own.... perhaps two servers :)

Rob.

We don't think that Reseller must required their own server untill they have huge client database. Most of the Reseller try to host with bigger host(who have their own servers) and resell their services to their client and get the profit. When Reseller have appropriate number of client database then he think of more benifit with his own server rather than reselling other services and switch to his own server.