Signatures

peter phillips

Do you guys ever look at other members' signatures and click on them? Just wanted to know what do you think about signatures in forums?

Every now and then I click on a signature link, but only if - as Marc said - it catches my attention and isn't overwhelming.

I almost never click on a blatent advertising signature.

I do however often click on signatures when I want to get an idea of the person's business or background.

I click almost always. That gives me a good sense what the person presents of himself. Don't get me wrong, I know it could be misleading, but online, your web site is your office, and it helps to see what it looks like. Not once I actually found very nice and talented people behind their signatures (like web designers for example who feature their portfolios in their signatures), or at times, signatures are good research material because you would see something interesting on another site that can be suitable for one of your sites as well.

Apart from that, I also click on signatures to verify if there are any affiliate links in them, to enforce the HD rules. :)

Clicking on signatures is a good habit bcoz it provides additional information and I often click on signatures when a members post is outstanding. :smash:

So basically Art clicks on 'em to LAY THE SMACKDOWN! :)

You have very good points Art, I never thought of websites as an "office", but it does make sense. It's almost like an extension of yourself.

It's almost like an extension of yourself.
I agree to that POV. It is why I often click on links in signatures: to better understand the person behind the post, his background, his skills.

Senad said:
Signatures are a good thing :D.
That is why we do not limit the number of links in them at HD or sister-forums. The more information about the person - the better research it is.

Yes indeed, I think it's a damn good idea to start a contest like this. This will bring out the best and the most creative sigs :dance:

peter phillips said:
Do you guys ever look at other members' signatures and click on them? Just wanted to know what do you think about signatures in forums?
I click on them if I want to check out what they're doing. I view sigs like name badges, when we're all gathered together in a hall. We mingle about, and see name badges and the names of the companies that we all own/work for. I like to know who's doing what, and how they're doing what they do. I like watching and studying folks. :)

Great comparison, Aussie Bob. I haven't thought of signatures THAT way before, but its exactly what you said - name badges.

Best,